Fellow Moderator's

Use this space for any suggestions or comments related to the operation of these forums. PLEASE DO NOT USE THIS SPACE FOR SCIENCE QUESTIONS!! THEY WILL BE DELETED.

Moderators: Andrew Wiecek, Suzanne

Fellow Moderator's

Postby EpiMPH » Feb 24 2005 6:30 pm

I have noticed as of late that more and more people are posting the same question to a few different forums. While I understand something can fall under more than one topic, sometimes it seems that people are just posting in pretty much everyone to get a responce. Any thoughts?
"Like an unchecked cancer, hate corrodes the personality and eats away its vital unity."- MLK, Jr.
EpiMPH
ModSquad
ModSquad

Postby John Buckels » Feb 25 2005 10:29 am

Hi Epi

I have noticed this as well, I think it should be discouraged but is unpreventable. If a post isn't relevant to a forum, or is duplicated, I usually delete it or move it

The difficult life of a mod, eh!

John
John B
John Buckels
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby r.rosati » Feb 25 2005 3:43 pm

I generally delete unanswered posts which have a duplicate on a better forum. Sometimes, though, the posts get answers - in this case i leave them.
In addition, as the number of sub-forums has increased, in periods of intense work when I don't have time to browse all forums I just control the ones I moderate. In this case, I may not notice a duplicate post.

-Rob
r.rosati
ModSquad
ModSquad

Postby Teuchter » Feb 26 2005 9:21 am

I've noticed this too, but haven't done much about it in the past.
Like the rest of the moderators, I can only delete or move posts from my own forum.
As WeirdOmen says, sometimes a post receives answers on more than one forum, and deleting duplicated questions might lose some good info. I don't know if this is possible, but if a post receives a reply in more than one forum, can we move the answers to the best-suited forum - is there a way of linking or merging two posts together?
Teuchter
supertech
supertech

Postby r.rosati » Feb 26 2005 3:36 pm

I didn't find any info on merging posts in this type of database. What i did once was "quoting" the answer into the other post, as a new answer though.

-Rob
r.rosati
ModSquad
ModSquad

Postby EpiMPH » Mar 14 2005 12:20 am

thanks for all of your comments.
ANother random comment/observation, on a some what related topic.
I find myself giving the same info what seems like again and again but at different times. I know that there are archives that in theory people could look though, but what about setting up a "frequently asked questions and most requested links" area for people to look through.
I know that it could be a lot of work in some ways, but it may save everyone time in the long run.
any thoughts? :lol:
"Like an unchecked cancer, hate corrodes the personality and eats away its vital unity."- MLK, Jr.
EpiMPH
ModSquad
ModSquad

Postby John Buckels » Mar 14 2005 1:18 pm

Sounds like a good idea, but may involve quite a lot of work :roll:
John B
John Buckels
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby strom » Mar 14 2005 4:30 pm

Hi all,

There are many good ideas here (merging posts, FAQs, etc), but as you all say, they are either not technically available with this bulleting board (merging posts), or will take a lot of work (FAQs). For the latter, I will put up any such list someone comes up with, but unfortunately I won't be able to contribute anything.

Moderators, watch for my follow-up by email.
strom
Forum Emeritus
Forum Emeritus

Location: NOAA Fisheries, Northwest Fisheries Science Center, Seattle, WA

think about to keep site-search window

Postby surya vamshi » Jan 24 2007 7:24 am

hi all

please think about keeping site-search option so that, before postiong a question one can search about the old threads and may get clarified his/her doubt, if not may find which forum is well suitable for his/her topic. :D
surya vamshi
Prolific Post-Master
Prolific Post-Master

Postby surya vamshi » Jan 30 2007 8:59 am

hi all
i couldn't hear anything from my dear moderators about my suggestion.if any thing tobe changed plese let me know.
with regards
surya vamshi
Prolific Post-Master
Prolific Post-Master

Return to Suggestions and Comments about This Forum