regarding: paper request in the protein method forum

Use this space for any suggestions or comments related to the operation of these forums. PLEASE DO NOT USE THIS SPACE FOR SCIENCE QUESTIONS!! THEY WILL BE DELETED.

Moderators: Andrew Wiecek, Suzanne

regarding: paper request in the protein method forum

Postby creepster » Jan 18 2006 11:53 pm

http://molecularbiology.forums.biotechn ... hp?t=13646

i was just wondering if he got any luck getting the pdf
it probably would have been even faster to just register himself and get the pdf from the archive than slapping up the post :roll:
which also makes the technician's statement unbelievable, and rather sounds like avoiding work/help/effort

anyway, this actualy brings me to some other subject, what are the legal rights about exchanging papers?
the only possible comparison i can draw are legal rights concerning mp3s and all that suff about copyright
Happycat has run out of happy

creepster
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Re: regarding: paper request in the protein method forum

Postby ForumAdmin » Jan 19 2006 3:25 pm

creepster wrote:http://molecularbiology.forums.biotechniques.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13646

i was just wondering if he got any luck getting the pdf
it probably would have been even faster to just register himself and get the pdf from the archive than slapping up the post :roll:
which also makes the technician's statement unbelievable, and rather sounds like avoiding work/help/effort

PDFs are available on the BioTechniques website (www.biotechniques.com) back to 1996 and can be accessed quite easily by simply registering and then searching the database using the advanced search. Maybe the technician wasn't aware of this?

anyway, this actualy brings me to some other subject, what are the legal rights about exchanging papers?
the only possible comparison i can draw are legal rights concerning mp3s and all that suff about copyright

Are you talking about BioTechniques papers in particular, or journal papers in general?

Sean
ForumAdmin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby creepster » Jan 19 2006 3:42 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:
creepster wrote:anyway, this actualy brings me to some other subject, what are the legal rights about exchanging papers?

Are you talking about BioTechniques papers in particular, or journal papers in general?

Sean

both
although i am not so concerned about biotechnique papers, as they are easily available (although i needed an older paper myself once (from 1995) and mailed them directly asking how to procede to get an older copy
i never got a reply, which in the end was not a problem since i got hands on an actual journal)

i am more interested in handling papers from more common and *bigger journals*, most of all regarding the trade of pdf files between different users via e-mail, not so much the trade between different labs at the same insitute

creepster
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby ForumAdmin » Jan 19 2006 8:27 pm

creepster wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote:
creepster wrote:anyway, this actualy brings me to some other subject, what are the legal rights about exchanging papers?

Sean

both
although i am not so concerned about biotechnique papers, as they are easily available (although i needed an older paper myself once (from 1995) and mailed them directly asking how to procede to get an older copy
i never got a reply, which in the end was not a problem since i got hands on an actual journal)

i am more interested in handling papers from more common and *bigger journals*, most of all regarding the trade of pdf files between different users via e-mail, not so much the trade between different labs at the same insitute

I can't comment on the policies of those bigger journals when it comes to sharing PDFs, but BioTechniques content is free and can be "traded" freely, as long as it's for non-commercial use. :)
ForumAdmin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby creepster » Jan 19 2006 10:46 pm

cheers (=

creepster
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby kayvee » Jan 20 2006 1:06 am

I am also not sure about the legalities. However, we can do this: If anyone needs a particular paper that he/she doesn't have access to, they can post a message on this forum and anyone who has access to that paper can send it to their personal email address directly (That ways, we don't post the paper on the web that can be accessed by just anyone; and the sender should post a reply on the forum that he/she sent the paper so that no one else would have to do it again).

As I said earlier, I am not sure about the legalities of this setup but I am sure a lot of us do something similar (at least I do it very often). I request my friends who are working in different places to send me the paper if they have access to. And they almost always send me.

Comments/Suggestions are most welcome.
Kayvee.
kayvee
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby ForumAdmin » Jan 20 2006 5:42 pm

kayvee wrote:I am also not sure about the legalities. However, we can do this: If anyone needs a particular paper that he/she doesn't have access to, they can post a message on this forum and anyone who has access to that paper can send it to their personal email address directly (That ways, we don't post the paper on the web that can be accessed by just anyone; and the sender should post a reply on the forum that he/she sent the paper so that no one else would have to do it again).

As I said earlier, I am not sure about the legalities of this setup but I am sure a lot of us do something similar (at least I do it very often). I request my friends who are working in different places to send me the paper if they have access to. And they almost always send me.

Comments/Suggestions are most welcome.
Kayvee.

I'm sorry to have to do this, but I've locked this thread pending a more careful review of the legal implications of this type of sharing (both for BioTechniques and for individual posters). I will post an answer here as soon as I have one. Thanks for your understanding.
Sean
ForumAdmin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Suggestions and Comments about This Forum