quack busters or "scientist patrol"

Use this space for any suggestions or comments related to the operation of these forums. PLEASE DO NOT USE THIS SPACE FOR SCIENCE QUESTIONS!! THEY WILL BE DELETED.

Moderators: Andrew Wiecek, Suzanne

quack busters or "scientist patrol"

Postby jop » Jun 20 2007 8:33 pm

Hi,
since this forum has many members and active discussions, it might be useful to add a new section concerning fraudulent claims (related to science) from companies. For example, Yves Rocher selled a rejuvenating cream containing plant RNA! They wrote that RNA is essential for cell processes and regeneration, although the latter fact is true, it is misleading. I contacted the company, exchanged a few emails to finally receive an answer that the explanation was confidential information (I must admit I cannot totally rule out the possibility RNA is good for the skin). I find that companies exploiting science in bad ways like that should not be able to do it easily like that :?. There are already good sites for this kind of stuff:
http://www.quackwatch.org/

but since we are many around this forum, when we come across this kind of fraud (or abusive use of science in marketing), we should post it so that other give their opinion and then we send it to other "official organization" like http://www.quackwatch.org/ or somehow help to inform.

I hope people will participate in this, I am sure that most of you have also came across this kind of dishonest marketing.
jop
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby kayvee » Jun 20 2007 10:56 pm

Someone is selling egg shell membranes put into a capsule proclaiming that it is good for your bones! It is all bull crap.
kayvee
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby r.rosati » Jun 21 2007 2:11 am

Heh we could temporarily host these in the Humor in Science forum.

Personally what i found the most striking waste of money are "pure water" sprays. One cost the equivalent of about 15 dollars in Italy some 10 years ago. And it's 200 ml of distilled water in a bottle. But hey, it's "pure".

On a slightly off-topic side note, some toothpastes here in Brazil contain formaldehyde. Now, don't ask me why, because I really don't have the faintest idea.
r.rosati
ModSquad
ModSquad

Postby creepster » Jun 21 2007 2:22 am

WeirdOmen wrote:On a slightly off-topic side note, some toothpastes here in Brazil contain formaldehyde. Now, don't ask me why, because I really don't have the faintest idea.

preserving your gums maybe ?
after all it is a strong fixating chemical (;
Happycat has run out of happy

creepster
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby jop » Jun 21 2007 1:58 pm

I agree it could almost go in "humour section" because it is sometimes so exagerated, but some people are deceived with these claims. I think its worth it putting in a new section.

I also once saw a company on the internet selling viroid RNA (small virus without capsid) that are supposedly good to eat!!!
jop
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby khenwood » Jun 21 2007 2:56 pm

Another interesting site to watch is badscience.net

I'm used to seeing ridiculous ads for bogus medications & treatments.

But lately, Ive been receiving a lot of spam that claims to be from major pharmaceutical companies, advertising their products. Out of curiosity, I opened some of these emails. They *look* like professionally done, HTML-style emails until you realize the content screams of spam. The email is basically selling discounts meds/therapies/supplies from a lot of well-known suppliers.

It makes me wonder how many people search the internet for discount products & end up buying a fake.
khenwood
technophile
technophile

Return to Suggestions and Comments about This Forum