"Protools" topic(s) for forum?

Use this space for any suggestions or comments related to the operation of these forums. PLEASE DO NOT USE THIS SPACE FOR SCIENCE QUESTIONS!! THEY WILL BE DELETED.

Moderators: Andrew Wiecek, Suzanne

"Protools" topic(s) for forum?

Postby mchlbrmn » Nov 14 2007 1:11 pm

Perhaps there could be a methods/protocols sections, or maybe instead a kind of sub-section at the top of each section, like Suzanne has in the qPCR sectoion, but, what I'm thinking of is not just to list references, but a place where participants can post protocols. Particpants could also respond to posted protocols with suggested changes, possible shortcuts, or discuss details of possible pitfalls. It could be like a wiki-protocol section, the moderator could modify the main protocol at the top of each thread if improvements became evident. Rather than repeat the same advice to visitors again and again, some questions could be referred to this section.
mchlbrmn
ModSquad
ModSquad

Good Idea!

Postby Abhijeet Bakre » Nov 15 2007 10:02 am

Hi
Yes i would welcome that! It would be nice to refer to a particular protocol and then go with it. We could also do this with bioinformatics stuff where people could post their step by step guides to doing stuff so that anybody who has not done this before can do it by following instructions.
this would increase site usability. I guess a lot of people get frustrated when they have to sort through search results that are misleading because the post subject was wrong or something like that and post the question even if it has been answered before.
great idea
abhijeet
there is no future in any job;the future lies in the man who does that job.
Any recommendation of a particular product only means that it worked for me; it may not work for you.
Abhijeet Bakre
ModSquad
ModSquad

Postby kayvee » Nov 15 2007 10:52 am

I think addition of a Wikipedia-like section where any member can post/edit a protocol would be nice. This is what I envision:

All members will be able to create a protocol. When doing so, they should be able to decide if they want to let others edit it or not. This is to make sure that at least one person is sure about the protocol and know it works.

Protocols organized in sections and in a searchable format. May be a section with recipes of several buffers/media/solutions would be nice too (I remember seeing a post where someone was looking for something like that)

Moderators would go through the protocols and make sure there are no duplicates. If there are two protocols for same experiment with slightly modified steps; moderator gets to choose if that particular experiment will have two protocols or if they should be merged together. For example, in order to do, say a western blot experiment, I post a protocol that uses Non fat dry milk to block and someone else comes up with more or less the same protocol using BSA to block; moderator should merge both of those protocols and make a note at the blocking step that there are two ways and it is one's prerogative to use either of the methods. However, if the protocols are significantly different, moderator should make a note at the end of each protocol that an alternative exists and post the link there.

There should be a section for comments at the end of each protocol. All members should be able to post comments there. This 'comments' section is basically giving suggestions - like how to prepare certain solutions, whether to autoclave them or not, whether to make solutions in bulk, etc.

These are a few things I can think of. I hope the moderators/admin think about it and see what they can do. And of course, I am willing to help out in whatever way I can.
kayvee
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Return to Suggestions and Comments about This Forum