Identifier "tags" in postings

Use this space for any suggestions or comments related to the operation of these forums. PLEASE DO NOT USE THIS SPACE FOR SCIENCE QUESTIONS!! THEY WILL BE DELETED.

Moderators: Andrew Wiecek, Suzanne

Identifier "tags" in postings

Postby David Spencer » Mar 24 2009 9:25 pm

I noticed that I have been labelled a 'technician-in-training' under my name in the responses that I post.
Where did that originate because I sure as h*ll didn't chose it?
Is that supposed to be cute, some measure of how often a person has posted here?
I'm not sure who would be flattered or amused by that inane designation but I can tell you I'm not. If that is what you consider my 42 years of research experience to be worth than I think I can find more profitable ways to fill my time than answering questions in your forum.

Cheers.
David Spencer
technophile
technophile

Postby mpagel » Mar 24 2009 9:56 pm

Yes, it is merely a reflection on how may posts you have entered.

Generally a person's first few posts are asking for help, after which some of them stick around to give help.

I personally don't pay any heed to the forum designations of others that post.

As you post more, the title changes, even for old posts.

I suppose you could put in your "location" tag or signature your qualifications, as that also shows up on every post.

In many forums, you can personally override the default title, but I can't seem to find where to do that in this forum.
mpagel
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Re: Identifier "tags" in postings

Postby Suzanne » Apr 02 2009 3:34 am

David Spencer wrote:I noticed that I have been labelled a 'technician-in-training' under my name in the responses that I post.
Where did that originate because I sure as h*ll didn't chose it?
Is that supposed to be cute, some measure of how often a person has posted here?
I'm not sure who would be flattered or amused by that inane designation but I can tell you I'm not. If that is what you consider my 42 years of research experience to be worth than I think I can find more profitable ways to fill my time than answering questions in your forum.

Cheers.

Relax David. When you get to 20 posts you get to be called a "technophile". And then at 50 posts you become "Supertech".
Last edited by Suzanne on Apr 02 2009 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.mobio.com/blog
Visit The Culture Dish!
Suzanne
ModSquad
ModSquad

Postby Suzanne » Apr 02 2009 3:42 am

Hi David,
I changed the number of posts needed to get to the next level so your title changed.
Really, there are more important things in life to get upset about than a message board ranking.

Suzanne
Visit The Culture Dish!
Suzanne
ModSquad
ModSquad

Postby Iwantcrts » Apr 02 2009 11:30 am

This is all about respect, and peoples view of it.

Some peolpe think they should get respect because of who they are, or what they did 20 years ago. I have seen this attitude alot and disagree with it (Some academics at the university where completed my PhD were very much like this).

If you ask me, repsect is something you have to earn from each person you encounter. It is not a god given right.
Iwantcrts
Prolific Post-Master
Prolific Post-Master

Postby bluetooner » Apr 02 2009 2:00 pm

Iwantcrts wrote:This is all about respect, and peoples view of it.

Some peolpe think they should get respect because of who they are, or what they did 20 years ago. I have seen this attitude alot and disagree with it (Some academics at the university where completed my PhD were very much like this).

If you ask me, repsect is something you have to earn from each person you encounter. It is not a god given right.

I completely agree. This shouldn't be about who has the most experience, or who has the most post count even. It doesn't matter - if i have a question, i don't care if a 40 year PI with 1 post answers, or a 1 year student with 100,000 posts that uses this forum for what it is really for - a learning tool. To get upset over a random post count title is a bit OTT. I have seen them in many forums and really couldn't care. I don't respect people for having more knowledge than everyone else, yet they like to show this. I respect them for having more knowledge, but not acting like it and treating me as an equal. Your 40 year PI used to be that out of school technician/graduate student too - and made the same mistakes. I love when my PI tells us stories of stupid things they did :)
Bluetooner
Research Assistant
A Medical College
USA
bluetooner
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby Suzanne » Apr 02 2009 2:19 pm

And it's not like anyone actually believes you are a "technician-in-training" because the title says so. (Not that there's anything wrong with that if you were.)
It should take about 10 seconds of looking around to see that the title is linked to post count and is just a fun way of describing your length of time spent posting on the board.

Knowledge in an area only has value if it is shared with others. So the more you post, the better your title.
No matter how many years you have in a lab, you still gotta earn your dues on this board with us "old-timers"!

Have a nice Thursday all.
Suzanne
Visit The Culture Dish!
Suzanne
ModSquad
ModSquad

Postby r.rosati » Apr 02 2009 3:11 pm

Well, it might be a good thing that David brought up the issue... maybe other people were annoyed by it and never commented, or perhaps they preferred to just avoid the forums... Susceptibilities exist, and are like this by definition - being hurt by something that most people don't mind. After all, there's always a human being under the lab coat, heheh.
So, thanks for sharing and staying with us, David. :)

Best wishes,

Roberto
r.rosati
ModSquad
ModSquad

Return to Suggestions and Comments about This Forum