Searching for entire text strings

Use this space for any suggestions or comments related to the operation of these forums. PLEASE DO NOT USE THIS SPACE FOR SCIENCE QUESTIONS!! THEY WILL BE DELETED.

Moderators: Andrew Wiecek, Suzanne

Searching for entire text strings

Postby Myotis_rufopictus » Apr 21 2010 2:51 am

Hi everybody,

I'm running into a problem searching for phrases. I tried to search for information on RD cells using the string RD only. Of course this returns an error message saying that it's too short.

After that I tried RD cells in Advanced Search with the "Search for all terms or use query as entered" option selected. The error message now says
The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: cells rd.
Even adding double quotations marks around the query like this "RD cells" results in the same error message which tells me that the server doesn't treat the stuff inside the double quotes as a unit.

Can anyone help or is this a limitation of the phpBB software, that it can't search for a string that contains spaces?
Reading about expression of genes "in Planta" makes me think they're doing it in margarine.
Myotis_rufopictus
supertech
supertech

Re: Searching for entire text strings

Postby r.rosati » Apr 26 2010 3:41 pm

Hello Myotis. I have bad news and good news.
Bad news: as I understand, forums based on phpbb usually can't handle phrases. Phpbb will break the phrase into single words anyways before submitting it to the search algorithm.
Good news: the Forums are indexed in Google, so you can just put your search words there (i.e. RD) and limit the search to our forums by adding this limit:
site:http://molecularbiology.forums.biotechniques.com
You should get some relevant results then, i.e. I found these two: (1) (2)
Best wishes,
Roberto
r.rosati
ModSquad
ModSquad

Re: Searching for entire text strings

Postby Myotis_rufopictus » Apr 29 2010 7:46 am

Thanks a lot! Silly me, I didn't think of Google search.
Reading about expression of genes "in Planta" makes me think they're doing it in margarine.
Myotis_rufopictus
supertech
supertech

Return to Suggestions and Comments about This Forum