If I would like to know whether alternative splicing occur s

Use this forum for general bioinformatics questions, or questions regarding genomics, proteomics, etc.

Moderators: mdfenko, Abhijeet Bakre, strom

If I would like to know whether alternative splicing occur s

Postby pawimomo » Jan 18 2016 11:35 am

If I would like to know whether alternative splicing occur some gene, What bioinformatics tool can answer my question?
pawimomo
newcomer
newcomer

Re: If I would like to know whether alternative splicing occ

Postby mchlbrmn » Jan 20 2016 7:32 pm

I'm not an expert on this, but I'd look at the NCBI page for the gene. Search for the gene designator with the "gene" pull down menu here:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/
and select the correct gene entry. This shows major human annotated reference sequences for forms of the gene with accession numbers beginning "NM_" NR_ and NP. Entries generated by computer from the genome, I think, are "XM_" XR_ and XP_.
There are also links on the right margin of the NCBI page for the gene. Under, 'Other Resources' you will find many links such as UCSC (University California Santa Cruz), Ensembl, and Aceview that will show you alignments of the gene that can be configured to show many sequences in the database that match it, including the EST database (cDNA fragments) and/or full cDNA gene entries. There's also a link to the 'Uniprot' page elsewhere on the page. There are many resources here, and elsewhere, and I can't say I can say which will be most helpful to you. Every alternate splice found may not be of biologically interest to you; I suppose some databases such as ESTs could include precursor intermediates to mature genes that aren't really expressed (?).
mchlbrmn
ModSquad
ModSquad

Return to General Bioinformatics