about Oxidative stress

Forum for prokaryotic and eukaryotic culture, cell culture related assays (e.g. CTL, cytokine release, B cell culture), cell lines/primary culture, reagents, etc.

about Oxidative stress

Postby Rolo Beorn » Mar 23 2016 9:14 am

Hi,

I have spinocerebellar ataxia type7.
I take Protandim as nrf2-activator.
nrf2-activation reduces oxidative stress, it causes my muscles to be more flexible and I'm slowly gaining weight.
I was wondering if I'm gaining weight because of the reduce in oxidative stress.
What happens with cells that have oxidative stress when enzymes like catalase, superoxide dismutase or glutathione are not present?

English is not my native language and I'm not a scientist....
I hope I made myself clear :)
Rolo Beorn
technophile
technophile

Re: about Oxidative stress

Postby relaxin » Mar 28 2016 11:19 am

There is a relationship between oxidative stress and aging, but I do not know if there is a relationship between oxidative stress and weight gaining. Weight gaining may be due to increase of muscle mass. Muscle mass can be increased with exercise, which may cause oxidative stress.

There are many enzymes involved in Nrf-activation, one of them will be heme oxygenase-1.
Retired academic researcher. Mention of a specific product does not imply my endorsement of the product. No conflict of interest or guarantee to work on the advice given. Do as I say, not as I do. Not liable to the loss of your valuable samples.
relaxin
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby Rolo Beorn » Jun 04 2016 11:29 am

I'm having some pretty significant improvements since I take Protandim
I now take 2 pills each day.
It seems that I have less energy on some level.
I want to have a better understanding in how oxidative stress works.

-When a cell is under severe oxidative stress, is there another system that tries to heal the cell?
If there are not sufficient enzymes...

-Is it possible that oxidative stress causes hormones like testosteron and growth hormones to work less?

-What happens when you remove oxidative stress from damaged cells?
Will cells create new healthy cells?
Rolo Beorn
technophile
technophile

Postby relaxin » Jun 06 2016 11:38 am

When a cell is under oxidative stress, it will up-regulate the production of endogenous antioxidants to mitigate the free radicals. If it can't, you need to take Nrf2-activator or take antioxidant supplements. If the cell is not fatally damaged, it will recover. Otherwise, it may undergo apoptosis. In general, antioxidants can prevent ROS-induced diseases, but cannot reverse them when damage is already done.

Spinocereballar ataxia type 7 may cause retinal degeneration. Antioxidant supplements such as lutein, zeaxanthin, and astaxanthin may help retinal degeneration. Please note that I am not a medical doctor, you may consult with your doctor before taking these supplements.
Retired academic researcher. Mention of a specific product does not imply my endorsement of the product. No conflict of interest or guarantee to work on the advice given. Do as I say, not as I do. Not liable to the loss of your valuable samples.
relaxin
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby Rolo Beorn » Jun 10 2016 1:56 pm

I have Macular degeneration.
My doctor prescribed Memoptic,(ginkgo biloba, choline, magnesium, vitamin B5 and zinc)
Rolo Beorn
technophile
technophile

Postby relaxin » Jun 12 2016 3:15 pm

This is for enhancing your memory, not for Macular degeneration. Astaxanthin is good for prevention of Macular degeneration.
relaxin
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby Rolo Beorn » Jun 16 2016 3:17 pm

ok,
How can a cell recover from oxidative damage?
Rolo Beorn
technophile
technophile

Postby relaxin » Jun 17 2016 9:34 am

I guess it depends on the extent of the damage done. If the damage is too much, the cell will undergo apoptosis. That is why preventive measure is the best measure. Daily intake of antioxidant supplement may help to reduce the oxidative stress.
Last edited by relaxin on Jun 19 2016 8:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
relaxin
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby Rolo Beorn » Jun 18 2016 3:18 pm

I now take Growth hormone, Testosteron, Magnesium, Protandim, Curcumin+bioperine, Astaxanthin, Carotenoid-complex, Vit. B-complex, Q10, Ubiquinol, Glutamine and Memoptic.
I took Arginine as well but that gave a sense of tiredness.
I took 1000mg a day, maybe I should lower the dose.
It's weird since Arginine stimulates the secretion of growth hormone...which improves your energy.
Rolo Beorn
technophile
technophile

Postby Rolo Beorn » Jul 10 2016 2:49 pm

SCA type 7 causes peripheral neuropathy.
Can oxidative stress be the cause for damage at the PNS?
Rolo Beorn
technophile
technophile

Postby relaxin » Jul 10 2016 4:44 pm

Yes, oxidative stress can cause damage of nerves leading to peripheral neuropathy. There is a link between oxidative stress and peripheral neuropathy in conditions such as chemotherapy and diabetes. SCA type 7 is caused by a mutated ATXN7 gene. Mutant ATXN7 can cause oxidative stress (please read the reference below). Taking antioxidants may help slow down the progressive damage of your nerve.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22827889
relaxin
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby Rolo Beorn » Jul 11 2016 10:22 am

Thanks for that link!
So then nrf2 activation is very important.

There are 2 factors which prevent regeneration in CNS.
*CNS neurons do not upregulate growth-associated genes to the same extent as do PNS neurons.
These include c-Jun, activating transcription factor-3 (ATF-3), SRY-box containing gene 11 (Sox11) , small proline-repeat protein 1A (SPRR1A), growth-associated protein-43 (GAP-43) and CAP-23.

I suppose those are called neurotrophic factors?
When I look for neurotrophic factors, I find these: nerve growth factor (NGF), brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF), neurotrophin-3 (NT-3), and neurotrophin-4 (NT-4) .

*Numerous molecules were identified within the CNS that limit regeneration.
The two major classes of CNS regeneration inhibitors are the myelin-associated inhibitors (MAIs) and the chondroitin sulfate proteoglycans (CSPGs).
Glial cells (including astrocytes and microglia) migrate to the (CNS) injury site, where they form a tight and interpenetrating network known as the reactive glial scar. Glial cells that persist at the injury site produce inhibitory factors: myelin-associated glycoprotein, chondroitin sulfate proteoglycans, and Nogo, among others.
Fawcett and colleagues found that the glial scar contains significant amounts of chondroitin sulphate proteoglycans and have investigated the use of an enzyme—chondroitinase ABC—to degrade the glial scar and thereby provide a pathway for regeneration.

Growth hormone accelerates PNS regeneration.(in rats)
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21945950

So can I reach neuroregeneration in the CNS with Chondroitinase ABC, upregulating the correct neurotrophic factors and growth hormone?
Rolo Beorn
technophile
technophile

Postby relaxin » Jul 11 2016 4:45 pm

I do not know much about nerve regeneration. I thought nerves are not regenerated once they died. The surviving nerves may grow longer to reconnect. I could be wrong, but I do not know enough to comment further.
relaxin
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby Rolo Beorn » Jul 12 2016 11:12 am

Nerves in the PNS can regenerate, the ones in CNS can't.

Most importantly, we found that treatment with a general anti-oxidant or inhibitors of NOX complexes reduced both the aggregation and toxicity of mutant ATXN7. In contrast, ATXN7 aggregation was aggravated by treatments promoting oxidative stress.
Is it possible to inhibit NOX complexes?

I found that only Curcumin, Bacopa and Ashwagandha show nrf2-activation.
Are there other supplements with nrf2 activation?
Rolo Beorn
technophile
technophile

Postby relaxin » Jul 13 2016 10:25 am

I do not know of any inhibitors of NOX you can take.

Resveratrol is another supplement known to activate Nrf2, and I have done experiment to confirm it.
relaxin
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Next

Return to Cell Culture