about Oxidative stress

Forum for prokaryotic and eukaryotic culture, cell culture related assays (e.g. CTL, cytokine release, B cell culture), cell lines/primary culture, reagents, etc.

Re: about Oxidative stress

Postby Rolo Beorn » Jul 13 2016 2:11 pm

I read that the health benefits of reservatrol are very dose-dependent.
It's sold in 200mg capsules.
Rolo Beorn
technophile
technophile

Postby relaxin » Jul 14 2016 10:44 am

It has short half-life inside human body. Do not try to take higher dose, as at high dose an antioxidant may become prooxidant. You will have the opposite effect.

There is also a soluble Isotonix Resveratrol that you can drink. It gives you higher dose of resveratrol than red wine.
Retired academic researcher. Mention of a specific product does not imply my endorsement of the product. No conflict of interest or guarantee to work on the advice given. Do as I say, not as I do. Not liable to the loss of your valuable samples.
relaxin
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby Rolo Beorn » Jul 14 2016 2:35 pm

What causes an anti-oxidant to become a pro-oxidant in higher doses?
Is this also for lutein, astaxanthin and curcumin?
Rolo Beorn
technophile
technophile

Postby relaxin » Jul 15 2016 11:27 am

Some antioxidants can reduce metal ions that generate free radicals through the Fenton reaction. So they act as pro-oxidants. One example is vitamin C and iron. Excess antioxidants also mitigate free radicals that are needed for normal cellular functions, such as killing germs.

I do not know if this applies to lutein, astaxanthin and curcumin. Just take the recommended dose. Taking more may do more harm than good.
Retired academic researcher. Mention of a specific product does not imply my endorsement of the product. No conflict of interest or guarantee to work on the advice given. Do as I say, not as I do. Not liable to the loss of your valuable samples.
relaxin
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby Rolo Beorn » Jul 25 2016 3:56 am

I base myself on clinical trials if possible.
The dose is often a lot higher in clinical trials then the capsules I can buy in webshops.

Is nrf2-activation an extra property of several anti-oxidants?
Rolo Beorn
technophile
technophile

Postby relaxin » Jul 25 2016 12:05 pm

Different antioxidants work on different mechanisms. Some are reducing agents that neutralize free radicals. Some activate the nrf2 pathway leading to production of the antioxidant enzymes, which produce endogenous antioxidants or destroy oxidizing agents such as H2O2. Some act as inhibitors of enzymes that generate free radicals.
relaxin
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby Rolo Beorn » Aug 03 2016 10:48 am

SCAtype7 is a polyflutamine disease.
The polyglutamine (polyQ) diseases are a group of neurodegenerative disorders caused by expanded cytosine-adenine-guanine (CAG) repeats encoding a long polyQ tract in the respective proteins. To date, a total of nine polyQ disorders have been described: six spinocerebellar ataxias (SCA) types 1, 2, 6, 7, 17; Machado-Joseph disease (MJD/SCA3); Huntington's disease (HD); dentatorubral pallidoluysian atrophy (DRPLA); and spinal and bulbar muscular atrophy.

Analysis of patient's material established that polyglutamine expansion beyond the pathological threshold of 36–40 glutamines leads to concurrent appearance of both disease phenotype and inclusions of the mutant proteins.

This is glutamine:
Is it possible that the long polyglutamine tract in a protein is a strong oxidant?

Reactive oxygen species increase toxicity and accelerate aggregation of those pathogenic proteins...
Rolo Beorn
technophile
technophile

Postby relaxin » Aug 03 2016 11:38 am

I do not know the mechanism of polyglutamine on oxidative stress. It seems to be cell type specific. Polyglutamine tract in huntingtin affects only brain calls. You may get some insight if you read the following reference.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/article ... 494125.pdf
relaxin
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby Rolo Beorn » Sep 16 2016 7:15 am

The health benefits of resveratrol are dose dependent.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2990065/
Does this dose dependency changes when you add astaxanthin?
When an anti-oxidant works as pro-oxidant because of a high dose, is this a property of a specific anti-oxidant or can you get pro-oxidant activity by combining several anti-oxidants with a normal dose?
Rolo Beorn
technophile
technophile

Postby relaxin » Sep 19 2016 1:32 pm

We just do not know much of the synergistic effect of various antioxidants. Different antioxidants have different mechanism of action. Only those that interact with transition metal will become pro-oxidants. Some antioxidants can be taken a high doses without ill effect. If you take several antioxidants at the suggested doses, you should not have pro-oxidant activity.
relaxin
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Previous

Return to Cell Culture