Damaged Nitric Oxide Sensor for NO Consumption Assay

Forum for prokaryotic and eukaryotic culture, cell culture related assays (e.g. CTL, cytokine release, B cell culture), cell lines/primary culture, reagents, etc.

Damaged Nitric Oxide Sensor for NO Consumption Assay

Postby lauram2 » Jul 08 2016 8:28 pm

Hi everyone,

I began an internship this week in which I grow bacteria and then monitor levels of NO (for which I need to use a NO sensor). I am not certain the exact model, but I believe it is similar to this: https://www.wpiinc.com/products/top-pro ... ensor-2mm/

Well, to make a long story short, I bumped the sensor when I was calibrating it. In my opinion, it was a light bump and I didn't even realize it happened until my mentor said so. He insisted that we not use it, as we had to wait an hour to see if the readings were normal (at the time, they spiked, dropped, and then leveled off a little bit higher than they were initially. There was also the occasional dip after they leveled). He told me to leave early because we wouldn't be able to complete the other procedures that we planned to do that day - I believe he just wanted me out of the lab because he was frustrated.

My question is: What does it take to permanently damage a NO sensor? Could this error cost the lab the $600 needed to replace the probe?

I am extremely anxious about this as I have been making really silly mistakes in the lab (ex. spills, not checking labels - resulting in using the wrong substances to make solutions, not retuning culture to the incubator, etc.)
lauram2
newcomer
newcomer

Re: Damaged Nitric Oxide Sensor for NO Consumption Assay

Postby mdfenko » Jul 11 2016 11:32 am

i don't know if you want to read this but...

your description of other "silly" mistakes makes it appear that you are not attentive. not reading a label when preparing a solution is not only poor practice but can also be dangerous.

you may or may not have bumped the probe but your mentor may just be frustrated with the way you work.

if you don't pay more attention to what you are doing, then you will probably be expelled from the lab.
talent does what it can
genius does what it must
i do what i get paid to do
mdfenko
ModSquad
ModSquad

Re: Damaged Nitric Oxide Sensor for NO Consumption Assay

Postby mchlbrmn » Jul 13 2016 3:20 am

mdfenko wrote:i don't know if you want to read this but...

your description of other "silly" mistakes makes it appear that you are not attentive. not reading a label when preparing a solution is not only poor practice but can also be dangerous.

you may or may not have bumped the probe but your mentor may just be frustrated with the way you work.

if you don't pay more attention to what you are doing, then you will probably be expelled from the lab.
It sounds to me as if lauram2 is already painfully aware of the situation. Not everyone is initially as sharp as everyone else, and anxiety may be making the situation worse.

I'm sorry that we don't have specific advice about the NO sensor.
You're certainly not the only one having a rough break in period before getting your "lab legs". I hope that as you settle into the lab your nerves ease up, and you can start learning better and enjoying the experience.
mchlbrmn
ModSquad
ModSquad

Return to Cell Culture