ABI 7300 or 7500 fast systems?

Use this category for questions related to various quantitative PCR methods, including real time PCR, reverse transcription (RT)/PCR, qPCR, etc. For general PCR methods, continue to use the DNA/General PCR forum

Moderators: r.rosati, Suzanne

ABI 7300 or 7500 fast systems?

Postby Rubend » Jan 09 2017 8:32 pm

Hello everyone
We are in the doubt between buying an ABI 7500 FAST Systems or an ABI 7300 Systems. The objective is to use it in the quantification of GMOs and presence / absence of pathogenic microorganisms in food/feed. My query is if, with an ABI 7300 is more than enough for these determinations?
Is there someone who uses or knows this machine (ABI 7300)?, and may indicate some disadvantage if it has, compared to the 7500 (considering my purposes).
I appreciate your answers
Ruben
Last edited by Rubend on Jan 10 2017 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rubend
technician-in-training
technician-in-training

Re: ABI 7300 or 7500 fast systems?

Postby r.rosati » Jan 10 2017 12:30 pm

We have both. If you have to go by one of the two, then choose a 7500fast.
The ABI7300 is a nice workhorse, but, off the top of my head:
- it only has emission filters, not excitation and emission filters like the 7500, so the data isn't as sharp, there's more bleed-through from one channel to the next;
- it has 4 channels instead of 5, in case you need multiplexing;
- it's supposed to use more ROX, and frequently the newer kits aren't designed for it. Yes you can try to use the kits with "low ROX" anyways, or you can add more ROX to a kit, but why bother;
- doesn't do high-resolution melting (it just does the simple melting curve for SYBR) while the 7500fast has this capability;
- I'm not sure how easy it is to find parts in case it breaks, since it's a very old model, discontinued at the end of 2011;
- I guess you'll probably be stuck with old software too.

Are you in a commercial lab setting? If you do, check your conuntry's regulations and see if the 7500fast is approved for this purpose (it likely is) while the 7300 likely isn't.
r.rosati
ModSquad
ModSquad

Re: ABI 7300 or 7500 fast systems?

Postby Rubend » Jan 10 2017 5:52 pm

Thanks so much for your answer r.rosati. I gonna considerate your comments
Rubend
technician-in-training
technician-in-training

Return to Real-Time qPCR/qRT-PCR Methods