dilution dependent melt temp variation

Use this category for questions related to various quantitative PCR methods, including real time PCR, reverse transcription (RT)/PCR, qPCR, etc. For general PCR methods, continue to use the DNA/General PCR forum

Moderators: r.rosati, Suzanne

dilution dependent melt temp variation

Postby molbionerd » Mar 27 2017 6:40 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum and have done quite a few qPCR experiments in my career. I am here today though, because I have never seen something like this before and don't know how to interpret.

I am doing a primer optimization for a Sybr green based qPCR experiment. Ran a dilution series of my cDNA with Rox as a reference dye and for detecting product. My primers are the same in each well. I was looking at my melt curve analysis with my run to make sure I was getting only a single product during the amplification. I have attached an image of it.
Dissociation Curve-01.jpg

Each peak represents the average of technical duplicates in the dilution series. The thing that is particularly weird is that the melt temp appears to be dependent on the dilution in the series. So in the picture the far left, yellowish asterisk, peak is the 1 x10^-4 dilution, gray diamonds is 10^-3, green triangles is 10^-2, red squares is 10^-1, and blue circles is 10^-0. Each sample is made from the same starting cDNA. The amplification curves are good (as far as their shape and when they appear, mid-20s for the first sample). While it is not a perfect effeciency (approximately 140%, R-squared of .92) it didn't seem that major other products are being detected as their is a single point within each duplicate.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this? Any insight on this issue would be much appreciated. And if there is any other information that you need to help analyze, just let me know.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by molbionerd on Mar 28 2017 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
molbionerd
newcomer
newcomer

Re: dilution dependent melt temp variation

Postby r.rosati » Mar 28 2017 4:01 pm

I took the liberty of adding the image inline as jpg, instead of a downloadable .zip (sorry if it was too big in these last 5 minutes; I've scaled it down).
r.rosati
ModSquad
ModSquad

Re: dilution dependent melt temp variation

Postby r.rosati » Mar 30 2017 2:39 pm

Hi... It never happened in my lab. But you comment on efficiency being 140%, wouldn't you consider this suspiciously high, as in your template solution carrying possible PCR inhibitors?
It's funny, these are very sharp bands and don't look like what a smear would generate. Yet, you can't possibly be generating 5 different products at 5 different concentrations, or well, I'd be very amazed to see something of the like happening.
Have you ran these reactions on a gel? Sometimes it's the best option to shed light into complex situations, and with SYBR, running a gel at least once to make sure that there's no unspecific amplification is the safest way.
r.rosati
ModSquad
ModSquad

Return to Real-Time qPCR/qRT-PCR Methods