Drosophila larvae salivary gland mounting

Use for discussion of various microscopy and imaging techniques, such as phase, fluorescence and confocal microscopy, electron microscopy, and various other imaging techniques.

Moderator: r.rosati

Drosophila larvae salivary gland mounting

Postby jdplotki » Dec 04 2005 3:45 pm

I am looking at third instar larvae salivary glands that express EGFP under a confocal scope. My problem comes in when im mounting my dissected glands on a slide. I can usually get them onto the slide in the mounting media intact and connected to the central duct, but when I put the cover slip on them they inevitably move around, and I need to get them into an orientation such that I can image them in the same frame. Since I am looking at GFP expressed in living cells my options are somewhat limited.
Has any one else had this problem, or can see an obvious solution? Any comments would be much appreciated.
Thanks
jdplotki
newcomer
newcomer

Help on S.G. mounting

Postby bcostantino » Feb 09 2006 7:55 pm

Hi:
Make spacers by cutting Whatman #1 filter paper into small strips and use them to lay the slide cover accross. Without spacers the glands get crushed.

BC
bcostantino
newcomer
newcomer

Re: Drosophila larvae salivary gland mounting

Postby Drosophilist » May 16 2013 5:26 pm

We struggled with similar problems with other fly tissues for a long time. Recently, we found that tungsten wire (diameters of 14 - 76 microm) from Scientific Instrument Services made good spacers appropriate to tissues of different thicknesses. The wire can also be used as an anchor to minimize movement of the tissue. Insect minutien pins (0.1 mm) were not bad either.
Drosophilist
newcomer
newcomer

Return to Microscopy and Imaging Techniques