movies

Humorous stories from the lab. What were your biggest mistakes that you can now laugh about? (Keep it clean!!)

Moderators: Suzanne, Andrew Wiecek

Postby chason » Aug 15 2006 11:53 am

Scully can run in heels too.

I want to be her when I grow up.
chason
technophile
technophile

Postby BRpostdoc1 » Aug 16 2006 7:45 pm

Does anyone know how much a movie or tv techical consultant might actually make? If it's more than a postdoc salary, maybe it's a career worth checking out... Besides, coming up with actual science is way hard - it might be fun to just make stuff up once in a while (not that some actual scientists don't do that anyway, but that's a completely different discussion topic).
BRpostdoc1
technophile
technophile

Postby TYLCV » Aug 18 2006 1:42 pm

Well... I think movie makers should be more dependent on scientific facts at least...
What I saw in Fly movie was way too far... Its about a scientist who suddenly hybridised his genome with a genome of a Fly.. and begins to transform into a gaint fly...
Life is just few minutes... So, we have to feel, enjoy invest And live each second of it...
TYLCV
technophile
technophile

Postby relaxin » Aug 18 2006 3:41 pm

The movie makers should hire real scientists as consultants. We should form an organization called SADMP (Scientists Against Dubious Movie Plot) and boycott any such ridiculous movie. With the Internet, the boycott can be very effective.
relaxin
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby jop » Aug 23 2006 9:14 am

I agree with you relaxin. Plus, it can give us more jobs (and maybe bigger pay checks!!!). Without total boycotting, we could at least have labels for movies like:
-science of documentary quality
-science fiction that could happen
-very questionable science
-if you believe in easter bunny and tooth fairy, this is for you!

I propose a petition for the formation of SADMP as suggested by relaxin:
We scientists are tired (although sometimes amused) to see completely ridiculous scientific affirmations or situations involving erroneous laws of nature. We therefore ask that all movies be submitted to a comitee of scientists for evaluation.

-jop
jop
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby r.rosati » Aug 23 2006 4:38 pm

If i have something like a "concern" regarding movies, is that apparently most people at Hollywood think it very cool to show how "evil" biologists love risking world-scale genocides for their interest.

I mean... make a blockbuster where an evil scientist is using human or animal clones to do whatever, and you'll find a political party who'll want to exploit the movie to ban any research on stem cells. Make a movie where the world ends because of genetic engineering, and you'll find some hundred thousand people who'll think that molecular biology is made in hell... that's annoying.

Also, the old-fashioned evil engineers and nuclear physics were just plain mad. You could have some good fun following their Rube Goldberg-like plans to rule the world. Now, evil molecular biologists are totally hideous, displaying something like the coldness of a serial killer (which is the prototype of movie coolness today) transposed in science. Now that's MOST annoying - at times i feel almost offended by these portraits.
r.rosati
ModSquad
ModSquad

Postby creepster » Aug 23 2006 7:05 pm

WeirdOmen wrote:If i have something like a "concern" regarding movies, is that apparently most people at Hollywood think it very cool to show how "evil" biologists love risking world-scale genocides for their interest.

I mean... make a blockbuster where an evil scientist is using human or animal clones to do whatever, and you'll find a political party who'll want to exploit the movie to ban any research on stem cells. Make a movie where the world ends because of genetic engineering, and you'll find some hundred thousand people who'll think that molecular biology is made in hell... that's annoying.

Also, the old-fashioned evil engineers and nuclear physics were just plain mad. You could have some good fun following their Rube Goldberg-like plans to rule the world. Now, evil molecular biologists are totally hideous, displaying something like the coldness of a serial killer (which is the prototype of movie coolness today) transposed in science. Now that's MOST annoying - at times i feel almost offended by these portraits.

i never looked at it this way, but i have to agree
most of all since there is no real common knowledge remaining from school, and you get blank stares when saying deoxyribonucleicacid
reminding me of an incident i got told, when on a market a farmer advertized their produce as 'gene free' (what the .... ?)

i get enough questions from friends asking if i can clone them glowing rabbits, a rat with an ear on the back or an army of mutant zombie cockroaches :twisted:
Happycat has run out of happy

creepster
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby relaxin » Aug 28 2006 1:12 pm

There is an article in a recent issue of SCIENCE on the topic of "Science fictionalized". It mentioned that ReGenesis, a science-based television drama, actually has a scientifc consultant (Dr. Aled Edwards, a proteomics researcher at the University of Toronto). I have not watched any of the shows. If you did, you can write a "review" of each episode in their website.

http://www.tv.com/regenesis/show/29414/summary.html
relaxin
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby bluetooner » Sep 07 2006 1:52 pm

So am i the only one that doesnt take that much worry about things not being possible in science fiction (as long as they are not factually wrong?) I do have to laugh at things like CSI and their ineptness and how quickly they get results :lol: :lol: (its also funny seeing instruments they are using are the same as some we use).

What was even funnier was a news article on a Lab in the area, and the tech in the lab was carrying out some sort of lab work without wearing gloves on it :lol: I bet he got in trouble next day :lol:
Bluetooner
Research Assistant
A Medical College
USA
bluetooner
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby A. Lee » Sep 26 2006 2:41 am

I just loved this topic. Honestly we should start some movement or society. Anyway I'm also one of those people who enjoy watching stupid stuff but it would be a lot better to get some fact into our moovies.
And the job and pay prospect isnt bad either. :wink:
A. Lee
A. Lee
technician-in-training
technician-in-training

Postby ate50eggs » Mar 22 2007 11:28 am

In mission to mars they get some weird transmission and figure out that it can be interpreted as a DNA sequence (a little off the wall, but disbeleif can still be suspended)

They look at it on a screen and it's a crappy ball and stick double helix with like bp showing. They, of course, instantly recognize the sequence as human. But someone notices something. The sequence is incomplete. "The last chromosome is missing!" So they fill in one base pair and complete the sequence.

I dunno if they had a science advisor for the biology in the movie, but it would have taken one intern about 30 seconds on the internet to make this segment less embarassing.
...and it's all true (even the parts that didn't really happen)
ate50eggs
technician-in-training
technician-in-training

Postby Myotis_rufopictus » Mar 05 2010 1:30 am

Worst moment in Avatar: Seeing Sigourney Weaver (my favourite actor) hold a micropipette upside down as she was "pipetting" something onto a microscope slide!!!

Btw, I have a hypothesis that people who saw the 3D version had an overall much better impression of it than those who watched 2D (like me). My friend's husband has some chronic eye condition and my husband was born severely cross-eyed so with 2 people in the group incapable of seeing stereo we didn't want to pay extra for 3D...now I wish I had gone again. Any comments on this?
Reading about expression of genes "in Planta" makes me think they're doing it in margarine.
Myotis_rufopictus
supertech
supertech

Re: movies

Postby talkingtree » Apr 11 2010 9:30 pm

and you can hear explosions in space which many movies depicts, in theory, no sound can be heard
talkingtree
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby sing09 » Apr 12 2010 3:08 am

If you look closely -- well, there is no need to look too closely -- "The Day After Tomorrow" depicts people running away from the "cold." There is no choice but to laugh! And when they win the cold and close the door behind them, the "cold" cannot go through the door and instead freezes it, very quickly. That's one of the most stupid movies I've ever seen!
Sing09

Not affiliated with any distributor or manufacturer of scientific goods/instrumentation. Mentioning a product is a result of personal preference and does not imply my endorsement of the product to the exclusion of other equally good ones.
sing09
Prolific Post-Master
Prolific Post-Master

Postby jwb » May 16 2010 6:18 pm

Old topic, but was tempted to add this.
There's an Indian movie which released in 2009. In that, the hero tries to save the world from a 'terrible virus', which should not escape from its vial at any cost, and which should be stored at a low temperature. The virus in question has been let out of the lab by some baddies, and the hero runs here and there trying to trace it. eventually, if the virus gets out, only a lot of NaCl can deactivate it ('tons and tons', as they say in the movie!).

Ultimately the virus does escape from the vial, and someone spots the escaping virus particles from a helicopter in the sky. hold your breath. through something that looks like a pair of binoculars! and the virus is indeed inactivated by tons and tons of salt, by what?? the tsunami in the Indian ocean! whew, so much, to save the world. :shock:
jwb
supertech
supertech

PreviousNext

Return to Humor in Science