movies

Humorous stories from the lab. What were your biggest mistakes that you can now laugh about? (Keep it clean!!)

Moderators: Andrew Wiecek, Suzanne

Re: movies

Postby sing09 » May 17 2010 1:04 am

Old topic, but was tempted to add this.
There's an Indian movie which released in 2009. In that, the hero tries to save the world from a 'terrible virus', which should not escape from its vial at any cost, and which should be stored at a low temperature. The virus in question has been let out of the lab by some baddies, and the hero runs here and there trying to trace it. eventually, if the virus gets out, only a lot of NaCl can deactivate it ('tons and tons', as they say in the movie!).

Gosh, I cannot recall or imagine anything worse than this... :lol:
Sing09

Not affiliated with any distributor or manufacturer of scientific goods/instrumentation. Mentioning a product is a result of personal preference and does not imply my endorsement of the product to the exclusion of other equally good ones.
sing09
Prolific Post-Master
Prolific Post-Master

Postby Suzanne » May 17 2010 4:28 am

Check out this very well done documentary on what its like to be in grad school that profiles several grad students in a lab of Dr. Larry Shapiro at Columbia University in New York. It is excellent.

The Making of a Scientist
http://www.thirteen.org/naturally-obsessed/

Suzanne
http://www.mobio.com/blog
Visit The Culture Dish!
Suzanne
ModSquad
ModSquad

Postby sing09 » May 18 2010 5:39 am

Hi Suzanne, thanks for the movie. It was very interesting.
Sing09

Not affiliated with any distributor or manufacturer of scientific goods/instrumentation. Mentioning a product is a result of personal preference and does not imply my endorsement of the product to the exclusion of other equally good ones.
sing09
Prolific Post-Master
Prolific Post-Master

Postby CrowSan » May 24 2010 1:10 pm

One of my favourite movies currently is "Bats". In it a (insane) scientist has created a race of genetically altered, blood-crazy bats... when asked by another member of the cast why he made them he replies "I'm a scientist - it's what I do".
Sigh....
CrowSan
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Night of the Lepus

Postby Myotis_rufopictus » Jun 03 2010 6:27 am

Along the lines of "lab animal run amok", you should see Night of the Lepus. It's a movie about a chemical contraception program to control rabbits that instead turns them into giant killer carnivores.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069005/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_of_the_lepus
Reading about expression of genes "in Planta" makes me think they're doing it in margarine.
Myotis_rufopictus
supertech
supertech

Postby CrowSan » Jun 09 2010 9:54 am

hehehehe - giant killer rabbits... I've got to catch that one. I quite enjoyed "attack of the killer tomato's". The title says it all really.
CrowSan
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby relaxin » Jul 25 2010 2:34 am

Here is another one: "Mega shark vs giant octopus". The shark jumps up 15000 ft in the air and grabs an airplane. This is just not a shark's normal behavior. The director of the movie must think the audience are idiots.
Retired academic researcher. Mention of a specific product does not imply my endorsement of the product. No conflict of interest or guarantee to work on the advice given. Do as I say, not as I do. Not liable to the loss of your valuable samples.
relaxin
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby mchlbrmn » Jul 26 2010 10:12 pm

Perhaps sharks behave that way when irritated. (Don't we all?) Was this near tax time? Isn't it possible the shark thought it saw a terrorist on the plane? Or it got delayed in security, and was trying to catch a missed flight.
See, there are many possible explanations. I would have thought as a scientist you'd consider all the possibilities.
mchlbrmn
ModSquad
ModSquad

Postby relaxin » Jul 27 2010 1:34 pm

Oh, come on. Even a non-scientist will not think a shark will have to pay tax or travel on an airplane (which the mega shark treated as a toy). The main point is that a shark seldom jumps out of water, not to mention 15,000 ft.

You miss one BIG reason. It got mad and took revenge on human for killing its children for shark fin soup. :D
Retired academic researcher. Mention of a specific product does not imply my endorsement of the product. No conflict of interest or guarantee to work on the advice given. Do as I say, not as I do. Not liable to the loss of your valuable samples.
relaxin
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby Myotis_rufopictus » Aug 17 2010 7:36 am

relaxin wrote:The main point is that a shark seldom jumps out of water, not to mention 15,000 ft.

Not that this invalidates your point at all, but it made me think of the spectacular and terrifying videos of Great White Sharks off South Africa walloping seals. Check out the photo at the top of this BBC article.
Reading about expression of genes "in Planta" makes me think they're doing it in margarine.
Myotis_rufopictus
supertech
supertech

Postby helen82 » Oct 29 2010 10:10 am

Clear Day One more story about Russian science:

The sitting of the Academy of Sciences of the USSR. The Chairman
acad. Alexandrov says: - Now we should decide the unprecedented problem -
to exclude acad. Sakharov from our members. Acad. Kapitsa: - Why do you
say that there was no precedent? Under Hitler, acad. Einstein was excluded
from the German Academy. Acad. Alexandrov: - Well, let's go to the next
problem.
helen82
newcomer
newcomer

Postby EcoRII » Aug 16 2011 6:46 am

Oh, how about the last few episodes of "v". They show a DNA molecule with a backbone completely intact but the middle completely missing in some spots, and the "scientist" says: "a portion of the DNA has been taken out, maybe to make space to put a different piece of DNA in". The freshman high school biology student in my mind screamed and hit her head against a wall, repeatedly, in frustration. I was so angry at whoever made the show...
No wonder they cancelled it.
EcoRII
newcomer
newcomer

Postby talkingtree » Aug 23 2011 11:16 am

Recently, The Raise of the Planet of the Apes is quite nice, especially the immunology side
talkingtree
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby relaxin » Sep 15 2011 5:09 pm

I guess Hollywood has learned. In the making of the movie "Contagion", they hired molecular biologist Ian Lipkin as consultant to go through the script and even train the actors how to play scientist in a real BSL-4 lab.

I have not seen the movie yet. If anyone saw these actors doing mouth-pipetting or handling things without gloves in the movie, please let us know.
relaxin
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Previous

Return to Humor in Science