Laziness is the mother of invention

Humorous stories from the lab. What were your biggest mistakes that you can now laugh about? (Keep it clean!!)

Moderators: Andrew Wiecek, Suzanne

Postby creepster » Jul 20 2006 2:33 am

a side note on chinese/japanese food and cooking: hurray for iron chef !


besides that, now im craving ika nigiri, tekka maki and unagi maki
damn you guys *shakes fist*
Happycat has run out of happy

Image
creepster
PI of Posters
PI of Posters
 
Posts: 558
Joined: Dec 13 2005 9:45 pm
Location: Canada, Ontario

Postby relaxin » Jul 20 2006 2:44 am

Hey, wind77, you have touched a tender nerve on Japanese. Most Japanese deny that they migrated from China in Qing Dynasty. They did come to China to learn a lot of things (such as writing and cooking) in Tang Dynasty.

creepster, relax, you drank too much coffee.
relaxin
PI of Posters
PI of Posters
 
Posts: 7189
Joined: Jan 11 2006 5:40 pm
Location: Mauna Kea

Postby wind77 » Jul 20 2006 3:21 am

relaxin wrote:Hey, wind77, you have touched a tender nerve on Japanese. Most Japanese deny that they migrated from China in Qing Dynasty. They did come to China to learn a lot of things (such as writing and cooking) in Tang Dynasty.

I'm afraid the actual history of Japan is much longer than Qing Dynasty.
Japan was called "Fu Shang" in ancient time.
It was believed that they're group of people who have moved out from mainland to escape from the violent authority at that time.
Exactly what time, I've no idea.
Personally, I believe it could be Qin Emperor time, however, again I have no evidence to support this statement.
wind77
PI of Posters
PI of Posters
 
Posts: 336
Joined: Dec 22 2005 6:18 am
Location: Singapore

Postby wind77 » Jul 20 2006 3:58 am

creepster wrote:besides that, now im craving ika nigiri, tekka maki and unagi maki
damn you guys *shakes fist*

Hmm, i like Hana Maki - salmon fish wrap around rice, mixed with Mayonesse sauce. the juicy raw salmon, with the mayo removing the stinky fish smell, gives the best taste and texture.

Of course, not to forget Unagi Maki.
Cooked eel, a very thick piece placed on top of rice, with some teriyaki sauce, this could lure u to table without the intention to move away!

And not to forget Fried Tofu.
Probably the most common dish, which essentially is tofu being fried, served with teriyaki sauce. However, the unique part is the tofu used is highly smooth, and soft, not the ordinary tofu. When fried, the exterior is crispy, yet, the inner part is smooth and silky feeling. Together with teriyaki sauce, this dish creates a "just-nice" taste - not too salty, not too plain, not oily, yet smooth.

Some pic available here: http://www.sakaesushi.com.sg/menu.php
wind77
PI of Posters
PI of Posters
 
Posts: 336
Joined: Dec 22 2005 6:18 am
Location: Singapore

Postby creepster » Jul 20 2006 11:27 am

wind77 wrote: ... too tasty to repeat ...


did you ever think of a career change and go into food advertisement ? :P
Happycat has run out of happy

Image
creepster
PI of Posters
PI of Posters
 
Posts: 558
Joined: Dec 13 2005 9:45 pm
Location: Canada, Ontario

Postby relaxin » Jul 20 2006 3:10 pm

You are right, wind77. There are no evidence to support that Japanese migrated from China, except for the record of 6,000 boys and girls immigrated to Japan in Qin Dynasty. Linguistically and culturally, Japanese are more related to Indonesians and Koreans. For those who are interested, please check the following link:
http://www.jref.com/culture/origins_jap ... ople.shtml
relaxin
PI of Posters
PI of Posters
 
Posts: 7189
Joined: Jan 11 2006 5:40 pm
Location: Mauna Kea

Postby wind77 » Jul 21 2006 2:51 am

creepster wrote:did you ever think of a career change and go into food advertisement ? :P

ah..
ads/marketing is definitely not my line.
I'm not used to deceive, cheats and lies.
I'm just giving facts, and where applicable, i'd make sure people know it's my humble personal view.

But hey, my interest is cooking.
Yeah, u got the important point? Just cooking, not washing of dish plates, utensils.
Which means i seldom cook, cuz none will wash. :P
wind77
PI of Posters
PI of Posters
 
Posts: 336
Joined: Dec 22 2005 6:18 am
Location: Singapore

Postby wind77 » Jul 21 2006 3:17 am

relaxin wrote:You are right, wind77. There are no evidence to support that Japanese migrated from China, except for the record of 6,000 boys and girls immigrated to Japan in Qin Dynasty. Linguistically and culturally, Japanese are more related to Indonesians and Koreans. For those who are interested, please check the following link:
http://www.jref.com/culture/origins_jap ... ople.shtml

Hmm.. a few ambiguous points worth to be debated:
1. Japanese never been able to develop a strong naval fleet to allow the travelling from Japan island to S.E.A., according to history. The furthest they went, was back to mainland - China.
2. Indonesia and Malaysia are believed to be native of the land. Skin is dark, which is typical colour for tropical country. Japanese has lighter skin colour. Indonesia and Malaysia also ha less developed linguistic system.
3. About the use of words which exhibit similarity, even chinese has the same greeting: goodbye, bon voyage, etc. And should such words be indicative of historical relation, then i suppose even Chinese is related to American?
4. Religion wise, monk is known to be a social phenomenon in ancient Japan: monks walking around in the street, begging money, helping people, attaining the "way". However, no monk was ever seen in Ancient Malaysia or Indonesia. Other Japan religion is more towards natural phenomenon, while Indonesia is more towards forest and spiritual.
wind77
PI of Posters
PI of Posters
 
Posts: 336
Joined: Dec 22 2005 6:18 am
Location: Singapore

Postby creepster » Jul 21 2006 3:24 am

i know somebody who had only two sets of each (plates, bowls, cups, cuttlery) because then you are forced to do the dish washing instantly, and doing only two plates is not that big of a deal!

the solution (although not environment-friendly) would be to just buy paper plates

ps: advertisement isnt only lieing, just selectively telling the truth or missing other facts :wink:
or just advertise a product you are really confident about
Happycat has run out of happy

Image
creepster
PI of Posters
PI of Posters
 
Posts: 558
Joined: Dec 13 2005 9:45 pm
Location: Canada, Ontario

Postby wind77 » Jul 21 2006 4:58 am

hmm.. surely wok cannot be paper-made? :lol:
wind77
PI of Posters
PI of Posters
 
Posts: 336
Joined: Dec 22 2005 6:18 am
Location: Singapore

Postby mchlbrmn » Jul 24 2006 1:55 am

Hey, I looked at that link about Japanese being linguistically related to Indonesians/Malay. It's just the impression of someone who says s/he is not a linquist but knows a few words of Indonesian and noticed similarities to Japanese. He says the Malays migrated down from China, which I have read before. If there's a genetic link to Japanese it's probably from China. Culturally Malays/Indonesians are in the midst of important trade routes so have picked up lots of influences, and some could be second hand and not necessarily directly from Japan.

About skin color, I wonder how long it takes to evolve a darker skin color after a people migrate south. I can't remember, but I think the Malays may have migrated down a couple of thousand yrs ago, +/- one. Their skin color is not nearly as dark as some africans, but perhaps it was headed that way. The Malay penninsula/Indonesia are near the equator, so they have as much sun as Africa. Their could be other factors affecting the selective pressure on skin color, such as types of dress, amount of activity outdoors in the mid-day, and diet and amount of antioxidants or protective substances.


wind77 wrote:
relaxin wrote:You are right, wind77. There are no evidence to support that Japanese migrated from China, except for the record of 6,000 boys and girls immigrated to Japan in Qin Dynasty. Linguistically and culturally, Japanese are more related to Indonesians and Koreans. For those who are interested, please check the following link:
http://www.jref.com/culture/origins_jap ... ople.shtml

Hmm.. a few ambiguous points worth to be debated:
1. Japanese never been able to develop a strong naval fleet to allow the travelling from Japan island to S.E.A., according to history. The furthest they went, was back to mainland - China.
2. Indonesia and Malaysia are believed to be native of the land. Skin is dark, which is typical colour for tropical country. Japanese has lighter skin colour. Indonesia and Malaysia also ha less developed linguistic system.
3. About the use of words which exhibit similarity, even chinese has the same greeting: goodbye, bon voyage, etc. And should such words be indicative of historical relation, then i suppose even Chinese is related to American?
4. Religion wise, monk is known to be a social phenomenon in ancient Japan: monks walking around in the street, begging money, helping people, attaining the "way". However, no monk was ever seen in Ancient Malaysia or Indonesia. Other Japan religion is more towards natural phenomenon, while Indonesia is more towards forest and spiritual.
mchlbrmn
ModSquad
ModSquad
 
Posts: 3990
Joined: Dec 13 2005 6:03 pm
Location: Boston, USA

Postby relaxin » Jul 24 2006 1:27 pm

He says the Malays migrated down from China, which I have read before. If there's a genetic link to Japanese it's probably from China.


Genetic anthropologists will soon determine whether Japanese is more related to Koreans or Malaysians using gene markers. But I can say that there would be no link to Chinese. As Chinese migrated southward, the Malaysians moved out to the islands of Indonesia, from there they migrated to Polynesian islands, and probably to Japan.

As for the skin color, it is directly related to sun exposure. My former professor came from England, but after living in Hawaii for twenty years he was much darker than the tourists from Japan.
relaxin
PI of Posters
PI of Posters
 
Posts: 7189
Joined: Jan 11 2006 5:40 pm
Location: Mauna Kea

Postby mchlbrmn » Jul 24 2006 6:55 pm

LOL, I don't think we were talking about suntans!

No link of who to Chinese, Japanese? I doubt Japanese came from Malaysia/Polynesia, I've never heard anythink like that before. Malaysians are far more mellow.

relaxin wrote:
He says the Malays migrated down from China, which I have read before. If there's a genetic link to Japanese it's probably from China.


Genetic anthropologists will soon determine whether Japanese is more related to Koreans or Malaysians using gene markers. But I can say that there would be no link to Chinese. As Chinese migrated southward, the Malaysians moved out to the islands of Indonesia, from there they migrated to Polynesian islands, and probably to Japan.

As for the skin color, it is directly related to sun exposure. My former professor came from England, but after living in Hawaii for twenty years he was much darker than the tourists from Japan.
mchlbrmn
ModSquad
ModSquad
 
Posts: 3990
Joined: Dec 13 2005 6:03 pm
Location: Boston, USA

Postby relaxin » Jul 24 2006 7:35 pm

Malaysians are far more mellow.


Of course, they are living in the tropic where food is plenty and temperature is high (that causes sleepiness). BUT, if they move to the north, it is survival of the fittest. They will become samurais.
relaxin
PI of Posters
PI of Posters
 
Posts: 7189
Joined: Jan 11 2006 5:40 pm
Location: Mauna Kea

Postby wind77 » Jul 25 2006 2:24 am

relaxin wrote:BUT, if they move to the north, it is survival of the fittest. They will become samurais.

in this case, do u consider China people as samurai?
wind77
PI of Posters
PI of Posters
 
Posts: 336
Joined: Dec 22 2005 6:18 am
Location: Singapore

PreviousNext

Return to Humor in Science

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest