Laziness is the mother of invention

Humorous stories from the lab. What were your biggest mistakes that you can now laugh about? (Keep it clean!!)

Moderators: Suzanne, Andrew Wiecek

Postby wind77 » Jul 07 2006 1:44 am

i suppose u need to chop the chicken into smaller pcs, in order to fit into the limited space available?
Also, is there any precaution taken to prevent the juice from falling into ur engine?
And, is the inner part of chicken fully cooked? :roll:
wind77
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby suzan99 » Jul 07 2006 5:31 am

i start to hate Chicken :( :?
suzan99
supertech
supertech

Postby creepster » Jul 07 2006 7:04 am

wind77 wrote:i suppose u need to chop the chicken into smaller pcs, in order to fit into the limited space available?
Also, is there any precaution taken to prevent the juice from falling into ur engine?

i always thought chicken was the easiest to cook, with the hot engine and the time of the drive i wouldnt see any problems of raw spots

but: instead of cutting smaller pieces, get a bigger car than a ford fiesta
... im thinking Hummer !
Happycat has run out of happy

creepster
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby relaxin » Jul 07 2006 10:20 pm

wind77 wrote:
well, he wrapped it with aluminium foil, so where the plastic come from?

The chemicals come from a previous autoclaving of plastic petri dishes of discarded bacterial cultures. They may contaminate your food wrapped in aluminum foil.
relaxin
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby swannnyy » Jul 09 2006 5:59 pm

wind77 wrote:i suppose u need to chop the chicken into smaller pcs, in order to fit into the limited space available?

Yes, we bought chicken pieces, so each piece was a reasonable size and everything was fully cooked through. Juices were a worry, which was why we double-wrapped the pieces, and were verycareful about sealing them, and we then arranged them so the opening was pointing up.
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary jokes, and those who don't.
swannnyy
supertech
supertech

Postby wind77 » Jul 09 2006 8:17 pm

relaxin wrote:The chemicals come from a previous autoclaving of plastic petri dishes of discarded bacterial cultures. They may contaminate your food wrapped in aluminum foil.

Oh, i was thinking that u should just run 1 round of autoclave without any other thing.
And completely seal your chicken in aluminium foil. :roll:
swannnyy wrote:Yes, we bought chicken pieces, so each piece was a reasonable size and everything was fully cooked through. Juices were a worry, which was why we double-wrapped the pieces, and were verycareful about sealing them, and we then arranged them so the opening was pointing up.

so how was the taste? :shock:
and the cooking hour was 1 hr?
wind77
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby swannnyy » Jul 09 2006 8:22 pm

wind77 wrote:
so how was the taste? :shock:
and the cooking hour was 1 hr?

Tasted fantastic! We spiced it up a bit (but I can't remember exactly what we used - try for yourself).

Yeah, about an hour. I read an article years ago that suggested the technique. I think hot dogs are about a 15-20 minute drive, and you could keep going up from there (roast lamb on the go, anyone?). Great for picnics if you cannot light a BBQ.
The most important thing to remember is to let the food stand for a few minutes with the foil opened to remove any traces of bad gases.
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary jokes, and those who don't.
swannnyy
supertech
supertech

Postby Doc_Martin » Jul 19 2006 4:19 am

Not sure whether the original poster was just joking or really thinks that's how sushi came to be. Sushi originates from an ancient Chinese practice of preserving fish in vinegar soaked rice. Have look at the Wiki entry.
There is a single light to science and to brighten it anywhere is to brighten it everywhere - Isaac Asimov
Doc_Martin
technician-in-training
technician-in-training

Postby creepster » Jul 19 2006 5:58 am

no personal offence, but some of the wiki entries could be bogus or half-true information (and you shouldnt believe everything on the internet .... or should you ..... :twisted: )

if ever this is the steppingstone to other sites rather than taking everything there for granted
afterall it is written by all and everybody
Happycat has run out of happy

creepster
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby Doc_Martin » Jul 19 2006 6:01 am

Actually the Wiki ref was there just so people could see what I know from other sources (i.e., from a Japanese chef to name one) to be the truth. The Wiki entry is pretty much spot on.

I am fully aware that Wiki can contain bogus information. However in this case they are right.
There is a single light to science and to brighten it anywhere is to brighten it everywhere - Isaac Asimov
Doc_Martin
technician-in-training
technician-in-training

Postby relaxin » Jul 19 2006 8:43 am

The story is intended for sushi bar joke. I made it up, there is no historical reference. This forum is meant to be humorous, please do not take it too seriously.

Sushi is not a Chinese cuisine. although many Chinese restaurants do serve sushi. Most Chinese will agree that it was Japanese who had invented sushi.
relaxin
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby Doc_Martin » Jul 19 2006 8:55 am

Modern Sushi yes but in fact the original form of sushi developed in ancient China long before it was adopted in Japan. However, the type of dishes associated with modern sushi bear little resemblance to their original Chinese equivalents.
Doc_Martin
technician-in-training
technician-in-training

Postby relaxin » Jul 19 2006 10:02 am

However, the type of dishes associated with modern sushi bear little resemblance to their original Chinese equivalents.

Well, whatever the Chinese had invented was not sushi per se. Sushi is, therefore, a Japanese invention. I think most Chinese will agree with me. How about you, Kaming and wind77?
relaxin
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby relaxin » Jul 19 2006 11:37 am

A search of "invention of sushi" in Google produced another story. If you are interested, please check the following link:
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/?p=65
relaxin
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby wind77 » Jul 19 2006 9:16 pm

hmm..
I do not have any evidence to support my following statement, so guys, just take it as it is till u can find evidence to prove otherwise:

sushi is Japanese dish. No doubt.
Why? Looking at Chinese dish, the style of cooking is different. There are a total of 8 main "division" of chinese dish:
1. lu cai 鲁菜
2. yue cai 粤菜
3. chuan cai 川菜
4. xiang cai 湘菜
5. min cai 闽菜
6. zhe cai 浙菜
7. su cai 苏菜
8. hui cai 徽菜

the division is based on the geographical origin of the dishes.
Chinese dishes emphasize on colour, fragrance, taste.
The cooking style, the use of material, the use of raw food quality, freshness, time of cook, etc all are important in making a good dish.

Now, Japanese originated from China. This we know from history. Their cooking skill inherited from China too. However, as they branched out from China long time ago, their cooking skill had evolved to suit their cultural chracteristics.

In early days of Japan, agriculture was the main economy activity. Men would go to the farm in daytime to farm, and women would stay home to look after the elderly and younglings. Noon, the women would bring the lunch to their family members in farm. Of course, there were also men who would bring bento (meal box) to farm early morning.

Now, Japanese women were considerate enough. Instead of bringing 1 box of rice, they've made the rice into smaller cluster - just enough for 1 mouth, which make the eating much easier. And of course, to make sure it's not too plain, they would mix the cluster of rice with some meat, like fish, chicken, squid, etc. Of course, along the evolution, some prefer raw, some prefer cooked, and the variations thus exist.
wind77
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

PreviousNext

Return to Humor in Science