Laziness is the mother of invention

Humorous stories from the lab. What were your biggest mistakes that you can now laugh about? (Keep it clean!!)

Moderators: Andrew Wiecek, Suzanne

Postby wind77 » Jul 31 2006 6:00 am

creepster wrote:it's her, please
:P

and you are only as old as you feel

oops.. :wink:
I think... i'm pretty old.. *cough cough
wind77
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby wind77 » Jul 31 2006 6:03 am

kafeepot wrote:whoa,whoa,whoa.......something interesting happening here....can someone please explain in more detail how this thing works......want to learn learn some code language...can jot down the minute details of a expt in a code language :twisted: ..that will be interesting ....

i am all eyes and ears..

K

well, still, spare ur fingers.. :shock:
wind77
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby John Buckels » Jul 31 2006 7:33 am

kafeepot wrote:whoa,whoa,whoa.......something interesting happening here....can someone please explain in more detail how this thing works......want to learn learn some code language...can jot down the minute details of a expt in a code language :twisted: ..that will be interesting ....

i am all eyes and ears..

K

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leet

:)
John B
John Buckels
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby creepster » Jul 31 2006 12:30 pm

OMG !!11!!!!!twelve!!

you know you spend too much time online, when you write 'wtf' in your lab book and think 'i got pwned by my gel' :shock:
Happycat has run out of happy

creepster
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby John Buckels » Jul 31 2006 5:14 pm

:lol:

Or you refer to animal tissue as "kidn00r, spl33n and l1v0rr"
John B
John Buckels
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby creepster » Jul 31 2006 7:33 pm

w00t

creepster
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby relaxin » Aug 05 2006 8:45 pm

Let me turn back to the subject on cooking chicken under the car hood. Today, I saw a cooking program called "Simply Ming" by Ming Tsai on WHYY. He and the brothers from "Car Talk" demonstrated the cooking of chicken, zucchini, and onion with seasoning wrapped in two layers of aluminum foil and put the package next to the manifold of a vintage GM car, and then drove 20 miles. Then they poured out the content in a tortilla and made a wrap. They seemed to enjoy it.

Swannnyy, you should have patented the technique. Now it is in public domain.
relaxin
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby jonsng » Aug 06 2006 5:52 am

The royalties! The royalties!

In the words of a great man: "wtf pwned"
jonsng
Prolific Post-Master
Prolific Post-Master

Postby creepster » Aug 06 2006 1:12 pm

jonsng wrote:The royalties! The royalties!

In the words of a great man: "wtf pwned"

gold

creepster
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby mchlbrmn » Aug 06 2006 3:59 pm

relaxin wrote:Swannnyy, you should have patented the technique. Now it is in public domain.

Actually, It's been there for decades. When I was a child my family went on a camping trip out West (USA). On some days with long drives my mom would put post rosts in the engine manifold to cook. When we stopped at a camp ground, while others were getting out there food supplies, ours was prepared, hot, and cooked. I think she got the idea from a newspaper article.
mchlbrmn
ModSquad
ModSquad

Postby Myotis_rufopictus » Oct 09 2008 9:29 pm

wind77 wrote:maybe i can propose an alt lab version:
get a lab mouse. clean its internal organs. put some sodium chloride in its place.
put its tail in its mouth and hold it there.
wrap with aluminium foil.
put into autoclave.

theoretically, should taste the same..

I'm growing some virus in embryonated eggs. The Poultry Lab gave me extra eggs one time, so I put the un-infected extras in the office (not lab!) fridge.

One guy decided to have an egg for lunch. But since his wife is a housewife and he never cooks, he didn't know that you have to puncture egg yolks before microwaving or they'll explode.

Again, since he has a housewife, he also decided that cleaning the microwave is a woman's/grad student's job and left it to me =P
Reading about expression of genes "in Planta" makes me think they're doing it in margarine.
Myotis_rufopictus
supertech
supertech

Re:

Postby talkingtree » Feb 06 2012 2:23 am

relaxin wrote:The story is intended for sushi bar joke. I made it up, there is no historical reference. This forum is meant to be humorous, please do not take it too seriously.

Oh sh*t, I have read your original story and had told at least 10 people that's where sushi originated from. Then I read the above quote many months later.....
talkingtree
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Re: Laziness is the mother of invention

Postby relaxin » Feb 06 2012 4:05 am

Don't worry. I told the same story when I have friends invited over for sushi. They all believed it. In fact, it could be true afterall. I have met a lazy Japanese girl in my life. :D
Retired academic researcher. Mention of a specific product does not imply my endorsement of the product. No conflict of interest or guarantee to work on the advice given. Do as I say, not as I do. Not liable to the loss of your valuable samples.
relaxin
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Previous

Return to Humor in Science