"Test-tube" hamburger

Humorous stories from the lab. What were your biggest mistakes that you can now laugh about? (Keep it clean!!)

Moderators: Andrew Wiecek, Suzanne

Re: "Test-tube" hamburger

Postby relaxin » May 16 2012 8:28 am

An intelligent animal will brain-wash people to return to healthy life style as vegans.

No need to re-engineer human to eat veggies. They were created as vegans.
Retired academic researcher. Mention of a specific product does not imply my endorsement of the product. No conflict of interest or guarantee to work on the advice given. Do as I say, not as I do. Not liable to the loss of your valuable samples.
relaxin
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby mdfenko » May 16 2012 9:08 am

relaxin wrote:An intelligent animal will brain-wash people to return to healthy life style as vegans.

No need to re-engineer human to eat veggies. They were created as vegans.

i believe humans were created as omnivores.

even if they were created as vegans, since the appendix evolved into a mostly vestigial organ (i believe they found that it still retains some function), humans can no longer remain healthy on a strictly vegan diet (without supplements).
talent does what it can
genius does what it must
i do what i get paid to do
mdfenko
ModSquad
ModSquad

Postby relaxin » May 16 2012 11:13 am

You can believe whatever you want to.
According to the Bible, Adam and Eve only ate fruits in the Garden of Eden. Otherwise, they could have eaten the snake. No lost of Paradise, ever.
Retired academic researcher. Mention of a specific product does not imply my endorsement of the product. No conflict of interest or guarantee to work on the advice given. Do as I say, not as I do. Not liable to the loss of your valuable samples.
relaxin
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby r.rosati » May 16 2012 12:36 pm

I vaguely remember that they could eat whatever they wanted, just *not* those apples :)
r.rosati
ModSquad
ModSquad

Postby relaxin » May 16 2012 1:50 pm

It is from any tree in the garden except the tree of the knowledge of ggod and evil. Here is a copy of the verses from the Book of Genesis:

15 The Lord God took the man and put him in the Garden of Eden to work it and take care of it. 16 And the Lord God commanded the man, “You are free to eat from any tree in the garden; 17 but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat from it you will certainly die.”
relaxin
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby r.rosati » May 16 2012 3:02 pm

I think the concept has been revisited then... Oh well, luckily I'm humanist!
r.rosati
ModSquad
ModSquad

Postby mchlbrmn » May 18 2012 3:29 pm

However originally created, humans don't appear inherently Vegan now. Someone gave them (I keep my scientific distance :) ) a taste for meat.

How is the appendix involved? Or, is that an example of evolution changing people?

Rather than engineer a way to grow meat more like plant, plant could be engineered to be more like meat. Triffids?
mchlbrmn
ModSquad
ModSquad

Postby mdfenko » May 21 2012 10:43 am

mchlbrmn wrote:How is the appendix involved? Or, is that an example of evolution changing people?

the appendix aids in the digestion of plants (in species with an active appendix). in humans, the appendix has lost nearly all function. hence, humans can no longer subsist solely on plant material.
talent does what it can
genius does what it must
mdfenko
ModSquad
ModSquad

Postby relaxin » May 22 2012 8:29 am

mdfenko wrote:the appendix aids in the digestion of plants (in species with an active appendix). in humans, the appendix has lost nearly all function. hence, humans can no longer subsist solely on plant material.

Well, vegans still exist to this day. :D

I think you got mixed up appendix with caecum.
relaxin
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby r.rosati » May 22 2012 9:05 am

The appendix has actually been suggested to work as a long-term storage for "good" bacteria. In case of infection, the organism would flush the intestine and the appendix could provide a fresh inoculum of proper microorganisms, to prevent re-infection.

Here: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 175901.htm
r.rosati
ModSquad
ModSquad

Postby mdfenko » May 22 2012 9:38 am

the appendix is involved in the digestion of cellulose in herbivores. most of this function is lost in humans.

see this wiki article: vestigial appendix
talent does what it can
genius does what it must
mdfenko
ModSquad
ModSquad

Postby relaxin » May 22 2012 12:51 pm

mdfenko wrote:the appendix is involved in the digestion of cellulose in herbivores. most of this function is lost in humans.

Just to clarify. Caecum is involved in the digestion of cellulose in herbiovores. In humans, the caecum has been reduced to appendix that is no longer involved in the digestion of cellulose (don't use it, lose it phenomenon).
relaxin
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby mchlbrmn » May 24 2012 1:04 pm

In that case, I'll definitely use mine. Regularly.
mchlbrmn
ModSquad
ModSquad

Postby relaxin » May 24 2012 2:52 pm

Not me, I am highly evolved. :D

On the other hand, since my ancestors started eating meat, my brain size has increased a lot as compared to Adam's. :lol:
relaxin
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Previous

Return to Humor in Science