"Test-tube" hamburger

Humorous stories from the lab. What were your biggest mistakes that you can now laugh about? (Keep it clean!!)

Moderators: Andrew Wiecek, Suzanne

"Test-tube" hamburger

Postby relaxin » Feb 20 2012 3:54 pm

A Dutch scientist claims one day "meat" grown from a cow's stem cells will replace the entire meat animal industry. Is that just media hype? Anyone who works in cell culture will know how much it will cost to keep a single layer of cells growing in dishes. Even if it is possible to produce enough meat from the stem cells, the hamburger will be too expensive for most people to eat.
Retired academic researcher. Mention of a specific product does not imply my endorsement of the product. No conflict of interest or guarantee to work on the advice given. Do as I say, not as I do. Not liable to the loss of your valuable samples.
relaxin
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Re: "Test-tube" hamburger

Postby CrowSan » Feb 20 2012 4:25 pm

The hamburger he is making (according to the BBC web-site) is going to cost £200 GBP. (or ~240 euros).
For that money I would certainly want cheese and bacon on it too.
CrowSan
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby relaxin » Feb 20 2012 5:38 pm

Perhaps one day scientists can genetically modify those stem cells that can feed on sewage or grass juice. Then the price "test-tube" hamburger could be within reach to the poor people.
Retired academic researcher. Mention of a specific product does not imply my endorsement of the product. No conflict of interest or guarantee to work on the advice given. Do as I say, not as I do. Not liable to the loss of your valuable samples.
relaxin
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby mchlbrmn » Feb 23 2012 7:00 am

Stem cells that
feed on sewage or grass juice
That's not necessary. We just clone the hamburger gene into ragweed, and never go hungry again.
mchlbrmn
ModSquad
ModSquad

Postby r.rosati » Feb 23 2012 12:43 pm

The cells are being grown using fetal calf serum... How's that about not using cows?
It looks to me this is completely out of any practical value.
If we wanted to landscape a weird non-slaughtering future, I would focus more, perhaps, on genetically engineered cows with a regenerating muscle-like, nerve-less appendage that can be removed to "harvest" meat while leaving the cow alive. As fictional as it seems, it's no less realistic than growing beef on test tubes.
And let's admit it- if they still have to "add the flavour", then we can do as we are already doing - grow whatever (e.g. yeast) and add beef flavor. Who needs real cow cells in a hamburger if you still need to add the flavour?
r.rosati
ModSquad
ModSquad

Postby CrowSan » Feb 23 2012 4:26 pm

r.rosati wrote:If we wanted to landscape a weird non-slaughtering future, I would focus more, perhaps, on genetically engineered cows with a regenerating muscle-like, nerve-less appendage that can be removed to "harvest" meat while leaving the cow alive. As fictional as it seems, it's no less realistic than growing beef on test tubes.

Or indeed engineer a cow/pig in a way that there is no main "brain" (so that it is just a meat tube that does not feel pain) and that can be grown in a small space fed by nutrients.
CrowSan
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby relaxin » Mar 05 2012 6:54 pm

r.rosati wrote:If we wanted to landscape a weird non-slaughtering future, I would focus more, perhaps, on genetically engineered cows with a regenerating muscle-like, nerve-less appendage that can be removed to "harvest" meat while leaving the cow alive. As fictional as it seems, it's no less realistic than growing beef on test tubes.

This hamburger is still very expensive. The surgeons (who are more educated than the butchers) will charge moe for "harvesting" the muscular appendage. And the "harvest" has to be done in an animal hospital (thanks to the animal activists), this will add up the cost of the beef. Finally, these muscular appendage will need constant massage to keep them in tone. I would rather eat a beef-favored soyburger.
relaxin
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby mchlbrmn » Mar 11 2012 5:33 pm

I don't think a surgeon is actually needed. Circumcisions are routinely performed on older children in some places with a string, and I don't think they need surgeons, and I don't think it's inhumane (unless you oppose circumcision, but I won't go into that).
Nevertheless, it would still involve taking tissue from a cow without informed consent (unless... you could alter the cows to make them intelligent, or at least able to say "yes"). It would be much better to clone the nerveless appendage onto our own children, or ourselves, so we can always enjoy meat, even in a vegetarian future (?!).
mchlbrmn
ModSquad
ModSquad

Postby relaxin » Mar 11 2012 6:11 pm

Is it a bit oxymoron to make cow intelligent, so that they can consent in donating their meat for human consumption? They may become too smart and convince human that they are divine and human has to worship them.

It is also oxymoron to "clone the nerveless appendage onto our own children or ourselves", so that we can eat the appendage at will. I have seen some animals eat their own offspring or their mates after mating, but never see an animal eats its tail.
relaxin
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby mdfenko » Mar 12 2012 3:49 pm

relaxin wrote:Is it a bit oxymoron to make cow intelligent, so that they can consent in donating their meat for human consumption? They may become too smart and convince human that they are divine and human has to worship them.

haven't you read the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy trilogy (specifically book 2, the restaurant at the end of the universe)?
talent does what it can
genius does what it must
i do what i get paid to do
mdfenko
ModSquad
ModSquad

Postby relaxin » Mar 12 2012 4:40 pm

No. Tell me about it, please.

Did the cows convert all beef-eaters into Hindus?
relaxin
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby mdfenko » Mar 12 2012 6:19 pm

the cows would walk from table to table speaking about the tenderness of particular cuts of their meat and offering themselves for dinner.

this part of the story was particularly amusing in the bbc television series.
talent does what it can
genius does what it must
i do what i get paid to do
mdfenko
ModSquad
ModSquad

Postby r.rosati » Mar 12 2012 6:35 pm

r.rosati
ModSquad
ModSquad

Postby relaxin » Mar 12 2012 6:58 pm

Yes, it is amusing. Thanks for sharing.

I guess any animal which offers it's owm meat to be eaten by others is not very intelligent.
relaxin
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby mchlbrmn » May 16 2012 2:42 am

That was a good passage.

relaxin wrote:I guess any animal which offers it's owm meat to be eaten by others is not very intelligent.

Well, you're assuming a survival instinct.

Another way to go about this is to engineer people to most enjoy eating vegetables. I suppose they could be reared that way, but why go to the trouble?
mchlbrmn
ModSquad
ModSquad

Next

Return to Humor in Science