iPad Apps for Scientists

Comments and complaints (dare we hope for praise?) on articles and opinions published in BioTechniques and the BioTechniques Weekly Newsletter

Moderator: Andrew Wiecek

iPad Apps for Scientists

Postby Andrew Wiecek » Oct 25 2010 2:23 pm

In the September 2010 BioTechiques editorial, we surveyed a handful of applications designed with the bench scientist in mind.

In the iPad apps for scientsits article series, we expand upon that collection to include useful iPad and iPhone applications for life scientists.

We encourage you to join in the discussion by sharing your favorite apps, debating the usefulness of these apps, or coming up with apps you'd like to see in this thread.
Andrew S. Wiecek
Web Editor
www.biotechniques.com
Andrew Wiecek
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: iPad Apps for Scientists

Postby JMG » Dec 01 2010 10:27 pm

A universal qPCR Master Mix component calculator would seem worthwhile in this regard.

I have created such a file in Excel.

What would be the best way to turn this into a universal platform application so that it is available
to everyone at no cost? E.g. who would I send the Excel to so they could transform it into an application
and disseminate it for free?

Thanks~
JMG
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby r.rosati » Dec 02 2010 8:12 am

If you just want to avoid copyright issues, you can open it in OpenOffice Calc (which is free), and save it as an .ods file.
If you want maximum portability, I suppose you could publish it in Google Docs or a similar platform. Then it'd be a web-based spreadsheet, with no other software needed.

Transforming it into a standalone application... I don't know, but now that you mention it, having a simple way to do it would be great. I know that there's a microsoft software (for IT professionals) that converts access databases to standalone apps, but I never saw it - I only used an app created with it. I wonder if there is a similar app for Excel.
From an informatic point of view, when you have all the formulas ready in Excel, the hardest part is done - the average programmer can easily code a windows-based program that uses the formulas.
r.rosati
ModSquad
ModSquad

Postby JMG » Dec 05 2010 12:49 am

Thank you r. rosati - this is very very helpful.
JMG
JMG
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Return to To the Editor