artifacts in sequencing gels

Use this category for questions directly related to DNA manipulation (isolation, purification, sequencing, etc.) and questions regarding general PCR methodologies

Moderators: r.rosati, mchlbrmn

artifacts in sequencing gels

Postby ng1 » Aug 18 2017 11:50 pm

Hi everyone,

I am using sequencing gels to separate radiolabeled (32P dATP) DNA fragments that are generated during DNA repair. I often encounter smear-like artifacts in empty lanes (that are not loaded with any samples) close to loaded lanes. This prevents me from being able to interpret the data. Does anyone know the cause of this kind of artifact and how It can be prevented?

I run 4 mm thick 7% polyacrylamade gels using the S2 sequencing gel electrophoresis apparatus and shark tooth combs.
ng1
newcomer
newcomer

Re: artifacts in sequencing gels

Postby mdfenko » Aug 21 2017 7:10 am

a picture would help...

smears like that usually come from sample bleeding through the gel, crossing the comb's tooth and separation of the gel from the plate (eg air pockets).
talent does what it can
genius does what it must
i do what i get paid to do
mdfenko
ModSquad
ModSquad

Re: artifacts in sequencing gels

Postby relaxin » Aug 23 2017 7:11 pm

You can prevent this horizontal leaking by using comb that has square teeth and freshly prepared gel (old gel may shrink).
Retired academic researcher. Mention of a specific product does not imply my endorsement of the product. No conflict of interest or guarantee to work on the advice given. Do as I say, not as I do. Not liable to the loss of your valuable samples.
relaxin
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Return to DNA and General PCR Methods