Same insert twice in same vector?

Use this category for questions directly related to DNA manipulation (isolation, purification, sequencing, etc.) and questions regarding general PCR methodologies

Moderators: r.rosati, mchlbrmn

Same insert twice in same vector?

Postby mchlbrmn » Feb 08 2018 3:37 pm

How advisable is it to insert the same gene twice in the same plasmid vector, to try two different promoters? How stable or difficult to work with would that be?
mchlbrmn
ModSquad
ModSquad

Re: Same insert twice in same vector?

Postby relaxin » Feb 08 2018 5:10 pm

I have never tried this. But I think there will be no advantage in doing this. You can transfect cells with two different plasmids. Increased plasmid size will affect the yield and stability.

If you really want to do it, have the inserts being controlled by different promoters in opposite orientation.
Retired academic researcher. Mention of a specific product does not imply my endorsement of the product. No conflict of interest or guarantee to work on the advice given. Do as I say, not as I do. Not liable to the loss of your valuable samples.
relaxin
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Re: Same insert twice in same vector?

Postby r.rosati » Feb 13 2018 12:17 am

About stability, I think it might work. As you know there's a risk for recombination, and this risk would depend on the origin of replication / copy number, the strain used, and the extension of the duplicated gene; but, say, some high copy number dCas9 plasmids I recently acquired have two U6 promoter-driven sgRNA sites (about 360 bp each) and they're stable in DH5alpha cells.
I've also worked with BACs and PACs from the RPCI genome libraries, which are low-copy, and are also stable despite carrying 200kb inserts with several homologous human repeats in them.
r.rosati
ModSquad
ModSquad

Return to DNA and General PCR Methods