Posting paper writing questions here?

Questions and answers about writing grants, the peer-review process, and other funding issues in biomedical research.

Moderators: Andrew Wiecek, Suzanne

Posting paper writing questions here?

Postby talkingtree » Oct 21 2010 11:11 pm

Can we post paper writing questions here as well?

edit:
So, I have the following data but not sure if publishable (even to low IF journals). Protein produced in E.coli and yeast not successful, however successful only in mammalian cells. This is which many researchers faced anyway, however, it feels like the resource and the time is wasted if such data is not published? Perhaps it helps others to know not to make the same mistake?
talkingtree
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Re: Posting paper writing questions here?

Postby relaxin » Oct 22 2010 8:11 am

One cannot publish negative data. However, since you have expressed your protein successfully in mammalian cells, you can write a paper focussing on that. Of course, you need to add more characterization data, such as purification, partial N-terminal sequence analysis, Western blot, and biological activity. If your protein is localized in certain organelle, you can include subcellular localization study with GFP-fusion protein.
Retired academic researcher. Mention of a specific product does not imply my endorsement of the product. No conflict of interest or guarantee to work on the advice given. Do as I say, not as I do. Not liable to the loss of your valuable samples.
relaxin
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby talkingtree » Oct 22 2010 8:36 am

Thanks for the tips

So, from your suggestions
Purification- the proteins were purified via commonly used simple methods such His-tag, is this even worth mentioning?

I do have other data such as deglycosylation of N-linked glycosylation via PNGase F on yeast + mammalian expressed protein. Refolding of inclusion protein (even though the refolded protein doesnt work). Binding assay for bacterial, yeast and mammalian produced proteins (and only the mammlian protein worked). Have you ever encountered papers that compare bacterial, yeast and mammalian protein expression? (in my case only the mammalian one worked, probably due to the lack of complex post translation modification, which err many people know as general knowledge already.. is it still alright to publish to prove that concept?) Sorry for my lack of experience in publishing papers

edit:
My protein came from human, now I'm using a mammalian system HEK293 to produce it, isnt it just normal as well? It is pretty much expected
talkingtree
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby relaxin » Oct 22 2010 11:35 am

If you want to publish a paper on the comparison of recombinant proteins produced in bacteria, yeast and mammalian cells, you need to purify them and characterize them. You have to explain why only the mammalian one worked in the binding assay. If you think glycosylation of the recombinant protein plays a role in the binding activity, you have to explain why the yeast one (which is also glycosylated) did not work, and you may have to deglycosylate the mammalian protein and demonstrate loss of activity.
Retired academic researcher. Mention of a specific product does not imply my endorsement of the product. No conflict of interest or guarantee to work on the advice given. Do as I say, not as I do. Not liable to the loss of your valuable samples.
relaxin
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby talkingtree » Oct 22 2010 7:09 pm

okay, do you have any suggested journal that would be the best for this?

-Protein expression and purification?
-The protein journal?
talkingtree
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby relaxin » Oct 23 2010 8:50 am

The two journals you mentioned should be good. Give them a try first. Other journals such as Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics and Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications may be OK, if you have more biochemical characterization data.
relaxin
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby talkingtree » Oct 23 2010 9:04 am

Alright, thanks alot for your help
talkingtree
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby rindy88 » Feb 10 2011 1:41 pm

test post...

'find
rindy88
newcomer
newcomer

Postby Bioruffo » Feb 11 2011 8:58 am

test post

'find
Bioruffo
newcomer
newcomer

Postby mchlbrmn » Feb 11 2011 3:53 pm

Testing the forum's website's ability to accept posts:
'donkey
Last edited by mchlbrmn on Feb 13 2011 4:45 pm, edited 18 times in total.
mchlbrmn
ModSquad
ModSquad

Postby talkingtree » Feb 11 2011 3:54 pm

???
talkingtree
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby relaxin » Feb 11 2011 5:42 pm

Moderators, please keep an eye on rindy88 for spam attack. :lol:
relaxin
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby mchlbrmn » Feb 11 2011 5:52 pm

relaxin wrote:Moderators, please keep an eye on rindy88 for spam attack. :lol:

Rindy's trying to fix a possible glitch on the website. Are you able to post the awful characters, too terrible for me to mention here, which Rindy wrote after, "test post..." ? You're right to suspect Rindy, writing such bad things.
Have you had times you got an error and couldn't post unless you changed the text of your message?
mchlbrmn
ModSquad
ModSquad

Postby relaxin » Feb 12 2011 10:06 am

Oh, is that what it is? I never have such an experience. Why don't you delete such a nonsense post?
relaxin
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby mchlbrmn » Feb 13 2011 4:48 pm

I can't figure out how to delete my post. (Some moderator!) Anyway, I think you're off topic :) .
Are you able to post an apostrophe followed by the word meaning to locate something, starting with the letters fi...? (As Rindy did above).
mchlbrmn
ModSquad
ModSquad

Return to Grant-writing Tips & Funding Issues