lab application letter

Questions and answers about writing grants, the peer-review process, and other funding issues in biomedical research.

Moderators: Andrew Wiecek, Suzanne

lab application letter

Postby laleh » Mar 26 2011 4:11 pm

HI

I am PhD student of biotechnology, according to my educational program I can apply for 6-9 months of practical research to a foreign university and my university will pay my living costs , I am going to send emails but I just don't know if there is a common term of phrase for this kind of applications. what should I call this research period? is it a sabbatical leave or an internship or some thing else?
I would really appreciate any help in writing the request letter

best regards
laleh
supertech
supertech

Re: lab application letter

Postby relaxin » Mar 26 2011 9:29 pm

It is internship. Sabbatical leave is for professor. You can just state what you have written.

If you bring your own living expenses, you can go to any lab you want. Pick a lab that is in the research area you want to pursue your postdoc training. If you are good, they may find support for your postdoc training. Alternatively, ask your mentor for recommendation for one of his/her collaborators. Just do not go to the lab of your mentor's rival. :D
Retired academic researcher. Mention of a specific product does not imply my endorsement of the product. No conflict of interest or guarantee to work on the advice given. Do as I say, not as I do. Not liable to the loss of your valuable samples.
relaxin
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby talkingtree » Nov 08 2011 9:24 pm

relaxin wrote:Just do not go to the lab of your mentor's rival. :D

Perhaps the supervisor is sending the student over as a spy!
talkingtree
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby Anthony » Mar 24 2012 2:50 pm

"Perhaps the supervisor is sending the student over as a spy!"
that is very funny, but definitely possible.
Duke Uni
Anthony
Prolific Post-Master
Prolific Post-Master

Postby relaxin » Mar 24 2012 8:08 pm

I would say, "Just do not go to the lab of your mentor's rival against his/her wish". If you do so, you will be "excommunicated" for life.
Retired academic researcher. Mention of a specific product does not imply my endorsement of the product. No conflict of interest or guarantee to work on the advice given. Do as I say, not as I do. Not liable to the loss of your valuable samples.
relaxin
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Return to Grant-writing Tips & Funding Issues