Alternative career for life science resarchers

Discussions on career high points (and low points), problems, and helpful advice.

Moderators: Andrew Wiecek, Suzanne

Alternative career for life science resarchers

Postby researchwoman » Oct 28 2010 8:43 am

I am considering a move out of academia in the next 1 and half or 2 years and am beginning research on that!;9
I would love to hear about alternative career options for life science researchers...
researchwoman
Prolific Post-Master
Prolific Post-Master

Re: Alternative career for life science resarchers

Postby relaxin » Oct 28 2010 10:57 am

Besides biotech and pharma industry, you can probably be:
1. science teacher for high school or community college,
2. science wirter/editor for journal,
3. entrepreneur for a startup company.
Retired academic researcher. Mention of a specific product does not imply my endorsement of the product. No conflict of interest or guarantee to work on the advice given. Do as I say, not as I do. Not liable to the loss of your valuable samples.
relaxin
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby CrowSan » Oct 29 2010 7:46 am

and there is always the (dreaded) sales rep. job - although personnaly I would rather work in a kitchen cleaning plates (which I have done)!
CrowSan
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby relaxin » Oct 29 2010 8:24 am

You can also be a songwriter, if you are musically talented. Here is your opportunity:

http://www.nimbios.org/songwriter

Although this is only a month-long job, you will never know it may change your career!
Retired academic researcher. Mention of a specific product does not imply my endorsement of the product. No conflict of interest or guarantee to work on the advice given. Do as I say, not as I do. Not liable to the loss of your valuable samples.
relaxin
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby CrowSan » Oct 29 2010 10:02 am

hehehehehhe. Perhaps we could compose an "ode to lab-life" and go on tour.

"When I was a lad, a very young lad,
a scientist I wanted to be.
But the prof. he did frown
and called me a clown
for dropping my samples in tea"

yeeees....maybe I'll stick to tap dancing.
CrowSan
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby relaxin » Oct 29 2010 10:47 am

You got talent! :D
relaxin
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby researchwoman » Oct 29 2010 1:32 pm

OK. I'll let out a desire that has been surfacing...of becoming a 'counselor'!
I realize after about a decade in academia, that I want to be around poeple, and help with emotional issues directly...
I've read loads of books, done internal work for myself and would LOVE to share and listen...
just that most trained psychotherapists have degrees...I don't wanna go there again...intellectualizing emotions rather than Being with them...
Will start out with some volunteering to see how it goes...I have not really heard of many who have become therapists from scientists though...although I'm intelligent, discerning, intuitive from research...and compassionate personally...

will let u people know if/how it shapes up..input always welcome!:)
researchwoman
Prolific Post-Master
Prolific Post-Master

Postby mchlbrmn » Oct 29 2010 4:32 pm

How about genetic counseling?
mchlbrmn
ModSquad
ModSquad

Postby relaxin » Oct 29 2010 4:34 pm

If you want to volunteer as a counselor, church may be a good place to start. There are lots of youths, married couples and seniors who need counselling. It may be the most rewarding career.

Wish you the best of luck!
relaxin
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby CrowSan » Nov 01 2010 10:26 am

mchlbrmn has a good point - there is alsways genetic counselling. I did a short module on this when I was doing my masters degree ages ago. . . it does take a great deal of sensitivity - not just telling someone the chances that their next child has a 50% chance of some nasty disease - also trying to skate around the difficult issue of non-paternity (around 10% of all children born in the west are not by daddy!). If you have a strong genetic background you might be able to find a night course or opening for this...
CrowSan
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby researchwoman » Nov 01 2010 10:32 am

relaxin wrote:If you want to volunteer as a counselor, church may be a good place to start. There are lots of youths, married couples and seniors who need counselling. It may be the most rewarding career.

Wish you the best of luck!

thanks a lot...:)
researchwoman
Prolific Post-Master
Prolific Post-Master

Postby JMG » Dec 01 2010 11:06 pm

Emerson put it quite nicely at one point:

"...We fancy that we are strangers, and not so intimately domesticated in the planet as the wild man, and the wild beast and bird. But the exclusion reaches them also; reaches the climbing, flying, gliding, feathered and four-footed man. Fox and woodchuck, hawk and snipe, and bittern, when nearly seen, have no more root in the deep world than man, and are just such superficial tenants of the globe. Then the new molecular philosophy shows astronomical interspaces betwixt atom and atom, shows that the world is all outside: it has no inside.

The mid-world is best. Nature, as we know her, is no saint. The lights of the church, the ascetics, Gentoos and Grahamites, she does not distinguish by any favor. She comes eating and drinking and sinning. Her darlings, the great, the strong, the beautiful, are not children of our law, do not come out of the Sunday School, nor weigh their food, nor punctually keep the commandments. If we will be strong with her strength, we must not harbor such disconsolate consciences, borrowed too from the consciences of other nations. We must set up the strong present tense against all the rumors of wrath, past or to come..."

I would say teach. Teach the hungry minds of children with that what you love most about science.

Granted the money will be small - but the love, wonder, and sheer fascination will be immense and unending.

JMG
JMG
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby talkingtree » Apr 17 2011 11:35 pm

CrowSan wrote:hehehehehhe. Perhaps we could compose an "ode to lab-life" and go on tour.

"When I was a lad, a very young lad,
a scientist I wanted to be.
But the prof. he did frown
and called me a clown
for dropping my samples in tea"

yeeees....maybe I'll stick to tap dancing.

haha
talkingtree
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby Luckspotter » Jun 23 2011 10:10 am

To Researchwoman:
I would like to reply to your interest about being a counselor. I have been in psychotherapy for 40 years! I'm a masters(MS) in biology. I'm looking for a job. My dad was a psychoanalyst with an MD. I have some strong opinions about therapy and bioresearch. If you would like to communicate, please let me know if there is another, slightly more confidential way (such as your email) than posting a reply on this forum bulletin board. Though I'm willing to use this bulletin board if you feel more comfortable that way
luckspotter
Luckspotter
newcomer
newcomer

Postby researchwoman » Jun 27 2011 9:45 am

Well it takes much more effort and luck to get into Biotech that I had anticipated and not as smooth a path to alternative careers as some of the Science magazine articles suggest. I have been applying for 4 months now to various biotech companies and few outside (management, education, recruiting, customer service, technical support....) Not much luck.
I realized though that the resume needs a big revamping. It seems to have a strong flavour of an academic written all over.
Thats probably one tip and a footnote for those trying to do the same type of transition out of the ivory tower.
researchwoman
Prolific Post-Master
Prolific Post-Master

Next

Return to Careers in Research