move to industry

Discussions on career high points (and low points), problems, and helpful advice.

Moderators: Andrew Wiecek, Suzanne

move to industry

Postby researchwoman » Apr 15 2011 10:36 pm

Hey all
I am guessing that many people (or most) on this forum are in academia. I am trying to make a shift into industry and looking for advice on making a foray. Before my recent job as a postdoc in academia, I applied for both industry and academic positions. I obtained responses from labs in academia and None from the industry with the same CV. Lately I was suggested to totally reformat my CV for the industrial audience. But given that (and I am working on that) I wonder if anyone has insight on the industrial hiring process. Is a postdoc over qualified? Are academic qualifications (or the age factor) considered unsuitable for a fresh hire in industry? Do they have issues with sponsoring Visas, or prefer foreigners etc...Any inputs are welcome...
researchwoman
Prolific Post-Master
Prolific Post-Master

Re: move to industry

Postby relaxin » Apr 17 2011 2:23 pm

I do not work for industry, but I do know there are different positions in industry. Some are for people with MS or BS, others require Ph.D. Yet others require postdoc training. I remember that when I went to placement service in a meeting in my postdoc years, I got no response when I had two years of postdoc training, but got a few phone calls after I had 4 years of postdoc training. So I do not think postdoc is over-qulaified. The key is a good match with their requirement. With a Ph.D., you may have a chance to move up to a group leader position.

As the problem with visa for foreign postdocs, smaller companies may not have the legal capacity to bother with them. So you may have better luck with larger biotech companies.
Retired academic researcher. Mention of a specific product does not imply my endorsement of the product. No conflict of interest or guarantee to work on the advice given. Do as I say, not as I do. Not liable to the loss of your valuable samples.
relaxin
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby researchwoman » Feb 13 2012 5:39 pm

well I wanted to post an update...I found a place as a postdoc, but not in a conventional 'research setting'...its a university with undergrad and grad and no PhD program. So I do research and train students in techniques. The fun of doing science is there minus competitive and high pressure output-oriented settings...and getting to interact with and teach is certainly so much fun...
I finally found a niche for now, a step outside the ivory tower (maybe on its porch!!:)) and quite happy:) for the past 3 months or so that I have been working here!!!
sometimes we find gems when we explore!!;0
researchwoman
Prolific Post-Master
Prolific Post-Master

Postby relaxin » Feb 14 2012 10:45 am

Glad to know that you have found your gem and are happy with it.
Retired academic researcher. Mention of a specific product does not imply my endorsement of the product. No conflict of interest or guarantee to work on the advice given. Do as I say, not as I do. Not liable to the loss of your valuable samples.
relaxin
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby Anthony » Mar 24 2012 2:47 pm

I am happy for you! Congrats
Duke Uni
Anthony
Prolific Post-Master
Prolific Post-Master

Return to Careers in Research