Early retirement

Discussions on career high points (and low points), problems, and helpful advice.

Moderators: Andrew Wiecek, Suzanne

Early retirement

Postby relaxin » Jun 19 2013 2:45 pm

Well folks, I have been given one month to clean up my lab and take early retirement. I am grateful for my current institution for their support of my research for 21 years. But everything has an ending.
I enjoy helping students who are looking for help in these forums. I shall continue to do so whenever I find the time. But I believe others will take my place.
Wish you all a wonderful research career. :D
Retired academic researcher. Mention of a specific product does not imply my endorsement of the product. No conflict of interest or guarantee to work on the advice given. Do as I say, not as I do. Not liable to the loss of your valuable samples.
relaxin
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Re: Early retirement

Postby mdfenko » Jun 19 2013 4:05 pm

i'm very sorry to read that. no one should be forced to retire against their will, especially when they are still fit and productive.

21 years is not so long.

do you have plans for the future?

i hope this doesn't mean that you will stop contributing to this forum. you have been the most helpful and knowledgeable member of the forum (no offense to mchlbrmn and r.rosati and jmg), as well as the most prolific, and we would miss you terribly.
talent does what it can
genius does what it must
i do what i get paid to do
mdfenko
ModSquad
ModSquad

Postby relaxin » Jun 19 2013 4:25 pm

I have 7 more years of independent research in another institution and 6 years of postdoc training in two universities. I am now 63 and should be able to retire comfortably. I have no real plan in looking for another job (I am too old :lol: ) or starting up a company (no marketable product, and thanks to the recent Supreme Court ruling, my patent in gene sequence is worthless). My immediate goals are to write up my research results for publication and a memoir, and become a full-time gardener in my church (it is always good to have a hobby :wink: ).
I shall log in these forums from time to time.
Retired academic researcher. Mention of a specific product does not imply my endorsement of the product. No conflict of interest or guarantee to work on the advice given. Do as I say, not as I do. Not liable to the loss of your valuable samples.
relaxin
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby mchlbrmn » Jun 20 2013 2:41 am

I wish you the best in the future. Your breadth of experience can be even more useful to other scientists on this forum if you will have more time to post :) . (Maybe you can sign up for a rewarding career as a Biotechniques moderator :) ).
mchlbrmn
ModSquad
ModSquad

Postby relaxin » Jun 20 2013 1:29 pm

Thanks for the offer. But I do not want to be tied down with the computer. There will be a lot of things to do at home and church. I may even start up a consultant company and charge the service for a fee. :lol:
relaxin
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby talkingtree » Jan 11 2015 2:23 am

OMGGGGG, that's quite sad, is it possible to send me your personal contact (eg Linkedin or something), I would like to buy you a dinner at some times when possible
talkingtree
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby relaxin » Jan 12 2015 4:38 pm

It is very nice of you for your offer, thank you. But I do not want to spend thousands of dollars in airplane ticket from my meager pension just for a dinner. :lol:

Please do not feel sorry for me. I am happy and am enjoying my retirement. I did feel sorry for my postdoc mentor who retired at age of 83 and passed away recently at age of 84. But I am sure he loved working every single day in his lab, he was married to science.
relaxin
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby mchlbrmn » Jan 12 2015 6:26 pm

It's nice to hear mention of the other side of your life. I'm glad you are happy.
One wonders how one might change their life in retirement being from Hawaii? People from my area might move to Florida. Perhaps people from Hawaii retire to New Jersey? :)
mchlbrmn
ModSquad
ModSquad

Postby relaxin » Jan 13 2015 4:25 pm

Most people retire in warmer places like Florida, Arizona, and Hawaii. Old folks do not have the strength to shovel snow. Hawaii is a nice place to retire, albeit the cost of living is higher. Everything (except pineapple and taro) is imported, and airplane ticket is expensive if you want to go to anywhere off the island.
relaxin
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby talkingtree » Jan 16 2015 8:31 pm

relaxin wrote:It is very nice of you for your offer, thank you. But I do not want to spend thousands of dollars in airplane ticket from my meager pension just for a dinner. :lol:

Ok, whenever you come to visit Australia, drop me a message, I'll bring you to eat crocodile pizza
talkingtree
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby relaxin » Jan 18 2015 7:54 pm

Thanks. I will let you know if I decide to visit you.
I had a chance of living in Melbourne for 4 months right after my graduation in 1978. People there were very friendly. I was able to walk around the city without a problem. Once a lady yelled at me from a car driving by, "Smile, you are on candid camera!". I was in deep thought, apparently with a poker face. :D
There were a few eateries owned by Middle East people near the University. They offered hamburger and pizza. They even had Aloha pizza (with ham and pineapple). I had nice memory till today.
relaxin
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Return to Careers in Research