How can I sterilize a scissor for collecting RNA?

Use this category for the exchange of ideas, methodologies and references regarding the isolation, manipulation and analysis of RNA. (Extraction protocols, Northern Blot analysis, RNase Protection, Differential Display, In Vitro Transcription, etc.)

Moderators: mchlbrmn, Abhijeet Bakre

How can I sterilize a scissor for collecting RNA?

Postby feobarbosa » Jul 23 2015 7:07 pm

I need to collect the spleen for analysis immune response. How can I reuse scissors without compromising the samples?
feobarbosa
newcomer
newcomer

Re: How can I sterilize a scissor for collecting RNA?

Postby mdfenko » Jul 24 2015 11:14 am

to ensure removal of rnases, after cleaning them thoroughly, soak the scissors in fresh depc water overnight then autoclave.

but, you probably just have to clean them. the rnases contributed by the scissors will be no match for those endogenous to the tissue.
talent does what it can
genius does what it must
i do what i get paid to do
mdfenko
ModSquad
ModSquad

Postby mchlbrmn » Jul 24 2015 8:46 pm

Since the spleen already contains RNAse, as mdfenko said, so it is the RNA that you need to prevent carrying over between samples. RNA is highly soluble in water, so any normal cleaning / rinsing method should work.
mchlbrmn
ModSquad
ModSquad

Postby CEM » Oct 27 2016 9:01 pm

If the scissor is made of heat tolerant material (metals) then you can wrap them in aluminum foil and heat treat at 200-210 C for 4 hours. When working with my samples I place all metal equipment; scalpel blade, forceps, scissors, et ect., in a small, store bought convection oven. As long as they remain wrapped they should not be exposed to RNases. However, as previously said the endogenous RNases must be accounted for, either by rapid freezing in liquid nitrogen or using a stabilizer such as RNAlater (R).
CEM
newcomer
newcomer

Return to RNA Methods