Repel Silane recipe

Use this category for questions regarding problems manipulating proteins in molecular biology applications (expression, detection, etc.)

Moderators: mdfenko, leekaming

Repel Silane recipe

Postby wuweizi » Apr 11 2009 7:54 pm

Hi, According to MC, 95% chloroform+5%DMDCS are the repel silane. However, O/N, the liquid became pink! I remember the before buyed was colorless. What can I do now?
wuweizi
technophile
technophile

Postby mchlbrmn » Apr 14 2009 6:08 pm

I don't know. Fortunately I don't see pink well. I've never heard of "Repel Silane".
I used to siliconize using the dimethyldichlorosilane, or whatever it was, without any solvent. IN THE FUME HOOD I would fill a glass beaker with microfuge tubes, add a couple of drops, press a foil over the top and leave a couple of hours, then leave loosely covered overnight to dissipate the chemical. It will quickly evaporate and siliconize surfaces it contacts (tubes, glass, your lungs if you do it wrong, and etc.) I seem to remember it could be diluted, as you did, and sorry I don't know what the problem was. If it got wet that wouldn't be good.
mchlbrmn
ModSquad
ModSquad

Postby relaxin » Apr 15 2009 8:19 am

Yes, Molecular Cloning did suggest a 5% dichlorodimethylsilane solution in chloroform or heptane. But it did not mention about the color change. I have used this solution almost 20 years ago, and I did not remember the color change either.

What to do? I would suggest you just make enough for use in one day. If it turns pink, discard it. Do the siliconization under a fume hood. You do not want a pink lung, do you? :wink:
Not affiliated with any company. Mention of a specifc product does not imply my endorsement of the product. No conflict of interest or guarantee to work on the advice given. Do as I say, not as I do. Not liable to the loss of your valuable samples.
relaxin
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Re: Repel Silane recipe

Postby sanibeta » May 13 2009 1:40 am

Is there a recipe website on which I can make a list of ingredients and receive recipes with only those items? I want to find out if there's a recipe website where I can make a list of ingredients I have in my pantry/refrigerator and it will give me a list of recipes which use only those ingredients? Or a website with something similar? Thanks.
newcomer

Return to Protein Methods