Is cell lysate in lysis buffer ok overnight?

Use this category for questions regarding problems manipulating proteins in molecular biology applications (expression, detection, etc.)

Moderators: mdfenko, leekaming

Is cell lysate in lysis buffer ok overnight?

Postby amarthaker » Aug 31 2017 1:26 pm

Can I keep protein extracted from E. coli bacteria (strain BL 21 DE3) in lysis buffer over night after centrifuging and filtering it?

Background: I am currently over expressing Maltose Binding Protein from BL21(DE3) strain of E.coli. For purification I pass it through maltose resin affinity column. Before that I add cell lysis buffer, sonicate it, centrifuge it to remove the precipitate and filter the supernatant with protein.

Problem: The procedure is long, and I go short in time on one day. Can I do all the procedure up to filtering the supernantant before the day of purification and keep the protein in cell lysis buffer over night for chromatography the next day?

Does it affect the protein in any way ?
amarthaker
newcomer
newcomer

Re: Is cell lysate in lysis buffer ok overnight?

Postby mdfenko » Sep 01 2017 6:40 am

it really depends on the protein, storage conditions and the constituents of the lysis buffer.
talent does what it can
genius does what it must
i do what i get paid to do
mdfenko
ModSquad
ModSquad

Re: Is cell lysate in lysis buffer ok overnight?

Postby relaxin » Sep 02 2017 3:41 pm

I would keep it frozen, and thaw it on ice before chromatography.
Retired academic researcher. Mention of a specific product does not imply my endorsement of the product. No conflict of interest or guarantee to work on the advice given. Do as I say, not as I do. Not liable to the loss of your valuable samples.
relaxin
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Return to Protein Methods