Reverse coIP

Use this category for questions regarding problems manipulating proteins in molecular biology applications (expression, detection, etc.)

Moderators: mdfenko, leekaming

Reverse coIP

Postby newbie17425 » Dec 27 2017 12:55 pm

Hi,

I am trying to understand what is a reverse coIP. I was searching on the internet, but with no luck yet. Could someone please explain what is a reverse coIP and when should it be done?
newbie17425
Prolific Post-Master
Prolific Post-Master

Re: Reverse coIP

Postby relaxin » Dec 29 2017 12:25 pm

If you use antibody against a bait protein to perform the first co-immunoprecipitation and identify its binding partner on a Western blot using antibody against the binding partner, then the reverse co-immunoprecipitation will be to perform the immunoprecipitation with an antibody against the novel binding partner, and probe the immunoblot with an antibody against the original bait protein of interest. This is a confirmation step to rule out nonspecific binding between these two proteins with one of antibodies.
Retired academic researcher. Mention of a specific product does not imply my endorsement of the product. No conflict of interest or guarantee to work on the advice given. Do as I say, not as I do. Not liable to the loss of your valuable samples.
relaxin
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Return to Protein Methods