checking purity Idebenone

Use this category for general molecular biology questions that don't fit specifically into any of the categories above, including software questions

Moderators: r.rosati, mdfenko

checking purity Idebenone

Postby Rolo Beorn » Aug 05 2016 10:46 am

Hi,
I will buy Idebenone in bulk.
Can I figure out the purity myself (with microscope) or do I have to send some to a labo?
Rolo Beorn
technophile
technophile

Re: checking purity Idebenone

Postby relaxin » Aug 05 2016 12:10 pm

Idebenone is a drug. How can you check purity with a microscope?
Retired academic researcher. Mention of a specific product does not imply my endorsement of the product. No conflict of interest or guarantee to work on the advice given. Do as I say, not as I do. Not liable to the loss of your valuable samples.
relaxin
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby Rolo Beorn » Aug 05 2016 12:49 pm

Idebenone is a yellow-orange crystalline powder. Shouldn't I be able to see impurities under a microscope?
Rolo Beorn
technophile
technophile

Postby relaxin » Aug 06 2016 1:39 pm

You cannot see chemical purity under a microscope. Nice crystals do not guarantee 100% purity. You need chemical analysis.
Retired academic researcher. Mention of a specific product does not imply my endorsement of the product. No conflict of interest or guarantee to work on the advice given. Do as I say, not as I do. Not liable to the loss of your valuable samples.
relaxin
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby Rolo Beorn » Aug 07 2016 1:44 pm

I'm probably buying it via Natural Field Bio-technique Co. I found them via alibaba.
They are mentioned in a pubmed article.http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4445949/
Tan IIA (with a purity proven by high-performance liquid chromatography as 99.2%) was purchased from Natural Field Bio-technique Co.
So I'm pretty sure it's not a scam.
Rolo Beorn
technophile
technophile

Postby Rolo Beorn » Aug 24 2016 10:32 am

What magnification do I need to see crystal structure? (idebenone, sugar, salt, sand...)
I found an USB digital zoom microscope 20X-800X. Is 800X sufficient magnification?
Rolo Beorn
technophile
technophile

Return to General Methods