Crystallisation of protein with 2-propanol

Use this category for general molecular biology questions that don't fit specifically into any of the categories above, including software questions

Moderators: r.rosati, mdfenko

Crystallisation of protein with 2-propanol

Postby PebblesZ » Jan 01 2017 11:06 pm

Hi everyone,
I am wondering if anyone could give me some advice or insight. Last year I began crystallising my protein of interest and luckily I was successful in obtaining crystals in a HEPES, 3-Na-citrate, 2-propanol condition although unfortunately the diffraction quality was poor. The crystals are quite small and very tedious to fish. I have tried streak seeding and the crystals appeared similar. I am not a crystallographer in my research and would appreciate any insight as I would like this to use it to compliment a chapter in PhD Thesis
Thanks in advance,
Jess
PebblesZ
newcomer
newcomer

Re: Crystallisation of protein with 2-propanol

Postby maureenash » Feb 17 2017 4:44 am

If your reagent is only 1-propanol and buffer and no other salts or additive, this would be a very low ionic strength reagent. In such instances one should consider screening temperature and pH since these two variables can be more significant in low ionic strength environments.And perhaps the following as additives if the 1-propanol you're using it also mixed with a salt to create the crystallization reagent. Try different chain length alkanediols to see how the change in alkanediol affects sample-sample and sample-solvent interactions as well as sample solubility.
Last edited by mdfenko on Feb 17 2017 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: remove link to essay writing service
maureenash
newcomer
newcomer

Return to General Methods