Dissolving Agar-Medium

Use this category for general molecular biology questions that don't fit specifically into any of the categories above, including software questions

Moderators: r.rosati, mdfenko

Dissolving Agar-Medium

Postby JonasDrescher » Jan 12 2017 3:58 am

Hello,
I have a problem regarding the dissolution of Agar Medium. I want to analyze fungus myzeliums that have been cultivated in Agar-Medium. One bias is that I don't know the exact composition of the Agar. I have read in several articles that all types of Agar are dissolved by simply adding water and heating up. Can anybody tell which temperature is suitable for dissolving Agar without destroying the myzeliums? After consulting my supervising professor I have tried 24 hours at 60 °C which didn't dissolve the medium. He is not an expert in molecular biology and it would be great if someone here knows more about the topic and could tell me :)
Best regards
JonasDrescher
newcomer
newcomer

Re: Dissolving Agar-Medium

Postby relaxin » Jan 12 2017 12:40 pm

What are you going to do with the myceliums after dissolving the agar?
For DNA isolation from agarose gel, most people use equal volume of saturated potassium iodide (a chaotropic agent) to dissolve agarose at 50 C. KI should be able to dissolve agar, but it may also destroy myceliums.
Retired academic researcher. Mention of a specific product does not imply my endorsement of the product. No conflict of interest or guarantee to work on the advice given. Do as I say, not as I do. Not liable to the loss of your valuable samples.
relaxin
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby lucy albert » Jan 31 2017 6:26 pm

relaxin wrote:What are you going to do with the myceliums after dissolving the agar?
For DNA isolation from agarose gel, most people use equal volume of saturated potassium iodide (a chaotropic agent) to dissolve agarose at 50 C. KI should be able to dissolve agar, but it may also destroy myceliums.

Can we restrict mycelium destruction in this method or no way?
panniculectomyhyperthymesiadorsalgia
Last edited by lucy albert on Feb 05 2017 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
lucy albert
newcomer
newcomer

Postby relaxin » Feb 01 2017 11:54 am

All chemical methods or heating will destroy mycelium. Perhaps you can try enzymes that can digest starch, such as amylase.

Does mycelium produce enzymes that digest starch so that it can absorb the nutrient? If yes, you can wait till the agar medium is dissolved before you harvest the mycelium.
Retired academic researcher. Mention of a specific product does not imply my endorsement of the product. No conflict of interest or guarantee to work on the advice given. Do as I say, not as I do. Not liable to the loss of your valuable samples.
relaxin
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Return to General Methods