Problems with some new registrant's email addresses

General announcements regarding this site.

Moderators: Andrew Wiecek, Suzanne, JohnKearney

Problems with some new registrant's email addresses

Postby strom » Dec 03 2002 10:27 pm

To all guests and would be registrants:

Registration is required to post new questions or answer the questions of others in these forums. Registration requires only a valid email address along with username and password of your choosing. Upon registering, the forum software immediately sends an automatated confirmation email to the address supplied that contains a web link--this link must be visited to confirm and complete registration.

A number of visitors have registered for the forums with either mistyped, invalid, or incomplete email addresses (see below for the latest list). If you're one of those, you will never receive the email that supplies the registration confirmation link and thus you will not be able to post in these forums. Instead these emails bounce (back to me). Obviously, since I have no way to contacting users with bad email addresses, I simply delete the accounts if I can find them (some bounced messages don't contain the complete message).

If you are one of those that has tried to register, but never received the confirmation email, drop me a note to forums-adminAT molecularbiology.forums.biotechniques.com (replacing "AT " with "@") from a valid address, telling me what username you tried to register with and when. If everything is in order, I will activate the registration.

-Mark

Note added 12/16/02

A number of free mail services are permanently blocked/blacklisted at this site--these are sites that routinely send and support the sending of unsolicted bulk email (SPAM). Some of these sites also provide free/anonymous email services. If your email account is with one of these, you may not be able to successfully register. Some examples of blocked email provider domains:
    mail.ru
    avantel.net.mx
    avantel.net
    iteb.ru
    comail.ru
    sohu.com
    hinet.net
    btamail.net.cn

Don't even bother trying to talk me into changing any of these. If your account is with one of these, I suggest you get an account with a legitimate email provider such as yahoo, hotmail, etc. These are not being blocked.
Last edited by strom on Feb 06 2003 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
strom
Forum Emeritus
Forum Emeritus

Location: NOAA Fisheries, Northwest Fisheries Science Center, Seattle, WA

List of new users with bad/bounced email addresses

Postby strom » Feb 06 2003 6:16 pm

I've decided that I really don't have the time to follow up on all registrants that submit bad email addresses, or submit email addresses to accounts that won't accept mail because you're over quota, etc. If you don't receive a registration confirmation and key within a day of submission (and in reality it should only take minutes), then please check your email address or account, and re-register.

I'll use this area to routinely list new registered users that can't complete registration because the email address entered was invalid (misspelled, invalid account, etc.). Email me at the link below to activate your account.

rici9 (mail quota exceeded)
    wgreg2000 (mail quota exceeded)
    lenamar (invalid/inactive mail address)

added 3/28/03
    sunyu (not a valid yahoo account)
    wendell (not a valid msn account)
    mayhem (bad email server configuration)

added 4/2/03
    Pepinka (invalid email address or bad email server configuration)

added 4/24/03
    ln (invalid email address)
    chrissie (invalid email adress)

Last edited by strom on Jun 20 2003 3:17 pm, edited 11 times in total.
strom
Forum Emeritus
Forum Emeritus

Location: NOAA Fisheries, Northwest Fisheries Science Center, Seattle, WA

Return to Site Announcements