ATTENTION ALL USERS-PLEASE READ

General announcements regarding this site.

Moderators: Andrew Wiecek, Suzanne, JohnKearney

ATTENTION ALL USERS-PLEASE READ

Postby strom » Oct 24 2003 3:36 pm

If the email address listed in your profile is valid and working, you can stop reading now!

If not, read on.

A growing number of you no longer have a valid email address in your profile. That is, the email address you registered with is now bouncing back as undeliverable, usually because the "mailbox" for that address does not exist, or the recipient is not a recognized user.

Why is this a problem?

Many of the users with no longer valid email addresses post quite regularly (which is greatly appreciated). Many of these same users also mark posts to notify them when a new post is added. Those notifications bounce back to me, where I then examine them to see what the problem is for that user. This creates more work for me to keep the board running smoothly, which takes time that I no longer have.

What is the solution and/or remedy?

Everybody, please take a moment and click on the "Profile" button at the top of each page and verify that your email address is correct. For those of you causing the problem, I can't contact directly for obvious reasons. If this problem persists for any user, I will inactivate the account and you will either have to subscribe again or contact me at nwfsc.forums @ noaa.gov (remove the spaces) to get the account activated again. Subscribers who have not activated their accounts will have them deleted at regular intervals.

Can't register? See below.
Last edited by strom on Jul 21 2004 2:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
strom
Forum Emeritus
Forum Emeritus

Location: NOAA Fisheries, Northwest Fisheries Science Center, Seattle, WA

Valid email adresses redux

Postby strom » Feb 04 2004 4:30 pm

I repeat!!!!

Valid, working email addresses are required to complete the registration process for the forums.

I still get several registration email errors a week, and I simply ignore them.

NOTE: When you fill out and submit the registration, you should receive an email from the system with your activation code almost immediately. If you don't get that email, then something is wrong with your email address.

If you believe this has happened, feel free to either re-register with a valid email address and a different username, or, send me a message to nwfsc.forums @ noaa.gov (don't forget to remove the spaces) with the information that needs to be corrected.

What if you're sure that you used a valid email address and you still didn't get the registration email?

Two things may have happened.
1. My SMTP mail server was down and the message was lost (rare)
2. Your ISP rejected mail from my domain/mailserver.

If you are sure that you used a valid email address, send me a message from that email address about the problem (send to nwfsc.forums @ noaa.gov, don't forget to remove the spaces). You must include your registered username. Once I verify that the address is legitimate, I will activate the account.

With regards to #2, some ISPs (particularly in China) are rejecting mail from United States .gov addresses. Obviously, I can't do anything about this!
strom
Forum Emeritus
Forum Emeritus

Location: NOAA Fisheries, Northwest Fisheries Science Center, Seattle, WA

Return to Site Announcements