Cardiovascular System and Disease Indicators (Biomarkers)

Non-professional visitors (i.e., lay people, high school and undergraduate students) or professionals from other fields should use this forum for general questions regarding molecular biology. No guarantee that they'll be answered but you can always try!

Moderators: r.rosati, mchlbrmn

Cardiovascular System and Disease Indicators (Biomarkers)

Postby reganb3 » Oct 09 2017 6:21 am

Hi all,
I am embarking on a new project which is in an area completely new to me and in short, I need to upskill quite rapidly and knowing where to begin is not so obvious.
As the heading suggests, I will be undertaking a project related to; the ideal biomarkers that are produced in the cardiovascular system that indicates CVD and the associated antibodies that are currently used to assist in the detection of these biomarkers.

What I am asking is where is the best place to start improving my knowledge on the relevant topics. I have very basic understanding of biology and I am currently attending some 1st year undergraduate lectures. Are there any well-known books that are essential for anyone attempting to gain knowledge in this area, any set of videos online or a set of web pages that anyone is familiar with?

I appreciate any response and I know this is still a fairly vague topic description but I will be grateful for any help or pointers in the right direction.
reganb3
newcomer
newcomer

Re: Cardiovascular System and Disease Indicators (Biomarkers

Postby relaxin » Oct 10 2017 10:35 am

The best way to start is to search for new publications in PubMed using the keywords, "cardiovascular disease" and "biomarkers". You can narrow the reading list by limiting the search on review papers only or do searching with additional keywords. Once you have the basic information, you can focus into an area you are interested in.
Retired academic researcher. Mention of a specific product does not imply my endorsement of the product. No conflict of interest or guarantee to work on the advice given. Do as I say, not as I do. Not liable to the loss of your valuable samples.
relaxin
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Re: Cardiovascular System and Disease Indicators (Biomarkers

Postby reganb3 » Oct 23 2017 5:37 am

Thanks for the response relaxin, I'll take that on board in my research.
reganb3
newcomer
newcomer

Return to Student Questions