when does osmosis stop

Non-professional visitors (i.e., lay people, high school and undergraduate students) or professionals from other fields should use this forum for general questions regarding molecular biology. No guarantee that they'll be answered but you can always try!

Moderators: r.rosati, mchlbrmn

when does osmosis stop

Postby liroj » Feb 12 2018 7:02 am

I have a question about osmosis that goes a bit deeper than most basic textbooks so I cannot find the answer.Here's the problem:

Imagine an animal cell, say a red blood cell, in a slightly hypotonic solution. The water starts to flow in osmotically. The concentration of solute in the cell decreases. The cell slowly starts to swell but does not burst.

The question is: Does this water entering increases the pressure on the membrane (similar to turgor in plant cells only less, because the cell can increase in volume - comparable to elastic energy that must be overcome when blowing a baloon...) and does this cause osmosis to stop BEFORE the concentrations come to equilibrum (meaning that cytoplasm still has a bit more solute concentration than outside of cell) or do the concentrations perfectly match?

Thanx in advance.
liroj
newcomer
newcomer

Re: when does osmosis stop

Postby 29yrsExperience » Feb 23 2018 7:39 pm

Yeah, this is a thinker. It probably depends on the nature of the solute and whether or not it can freely cross the membrane. If it can, some of what is in the cell can come out and a true equilibrium can be reached. If not, probably your scenario with the cell membrane holding back expansion before equilibrium is reached could occur. Anybody else have any ideas? I haven’t reviewed osmosis in AGES!
29yrsExperience
technophile
technophile

Return to Student Questions