Discuss with Authors' (other papers) before publishing?

Non-professional visitors (i.e., lay people, high school and undergraduate students) or professionals from other fields should use this forum for general questions regarding molecular biology. No guarantee that they'll be answered but you can always try!

Moderators: r.rosati, mchlbrmn

Discuss with Authors' (other papers) before publishing?

Postby ops959 » May 31 2017 9:19 am

Is it common or possible (or not) to write other authors' (of other papers' on same or similar topics) to get advice or support before publishing work? Does anyone do this (or not recommend to do so)?

Re: Discuss with Authors' (other papers) before publishing?

Postby relaxin » Jun 01 2017 11:03 am

This is not a general practice. Researchers working in the same area of research may not be too eager to help you out. You may not get any response, or in case of a competitor, he/she may misdirect you and "scoup" you. You may try to get help in this forum.

If your results are different from those already reported by other investigators, you can discuss the discrepancies in the "Discussion" section.
Retired academic researcher. Mention of a specific product does not imply my endorsement of the product. No conflict of interest or guarantee to work on the advice given. Do as I say, not as I do. Not liable to the loss of your valuable samples.
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Return to Student Questions