making figures in photoshop

Use this category for general molecular biology questions that don't fit specifically into any of the categories above, including software questions

Moderators: r.rosati, mdfenko

making figures in photoshop

Postby dawnsong » Sep 13 2006 10:34 am

Hi, I am trying to remade figures in photoshop since the figures I made in powerpoint and copy-paste to photoshop gave me smeary letters. Could anyone instruct me how to add letters and characters in photoshop? Thank you very much!
dawnsong
technophile
technophile

Re: making figures in photoshop

Postby woodshedder » Sep 13 2006 6:22 pm

Howdy,
Although I have dabbled in Photoshop, I don't know enough to do anyone much good. However, when I have had software questions in the past, I have used http://www.allexperts.com/ with good success. Good luck.
woodshedder
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby kmunson779 » Sep 13 2006 6:43 pm

There's a text tool in Photoshop -- it's the big T. You can use it to make new layers that contain your text; these layers can then be manipulated if you need to have the text sideways for example.

You can try the help function in Photoshop or Google for some tutorials if you're having problems...

If you have a more specific question, I can try to help you.
kmunson779
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby dawnsong » Sep 13 2006 8:34 pm

Hi kmunson779,

Thank you very much! I have been trying to use the "text" function in photoshop now. But I found that the resolution is not good at all --- it looks worse than when I made the figure in powerpoint and copy-paste to photoshop. Could you please tell me is there any tricks or did I miss something? Thanks again!

Dawnsong
dawnsong
technophile
technophile

Postby dawnsong » Sep 13 2006 8:37 pm

Hi woodshedder,

Thank you very much for your reply!

I'm going to explore the link you gave me now. Thank you again!
dawnsong
technophile
technophile

Postby kmunson779 » Sep 13 2006 9:02 pm

Could you post a picture to show me what you mean?

Look into the different antialiasing modes (in my version, it's a dropdown box in the Character tool palette that say things like "smooth" "strong" etc).

Make sure you're working at a high enough resolution -- print resolution usually needs to be at least 300 dpi; screen resolution is usually about 75 dpi, and if you cut and pasted things from powerpoint, you may be working at screen resolution, which may look blurry.

Hope this helps some...
kmunson779
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby dawnsong » Sep 13 2006 10:25 pm

Dear kmunson779,

Thank you very much for your helfful suggestions! After I changed the image resolution to 300 dpi, and choose "smooth" instead of sharp mode, I got much clearer letters. Thank you!

I hope you can also help me out with two more things:

1. When I use the high resolution, the figure (eg an EB gel) I copied to the photoshop image is too small to work on, so I have to enlarge it many folds. Am I doing the right thing?

2. Is there a way to draw arrows in photoshop?

Thank you again!
dawnsong
technophile
technophile

Postby kmunson779 » Sep 13 2006 10:45 pm

1. When I use the high resolution, the figure (eg an EB gel) I copied to the photoshop image is too small to work on, so I have to enlarge it many folds. Am I doing the right thing?

In ideal circumstances, no. The problem with doing this is that your final printed image will look pixelated. The best thing to do is go back to the original image you acquired of the gel and see if it's larger than the image you've got now. Failing that, ya gotta do what ya gotta do...
2. Is there a way to draw arrows in photoshop?

Yes. Choose the line tool (click and hold down the rectangle tool, and a menu of other tools, including the line, pops up). In the tool options, usually a graphical menu bar across the top of the screen, there should be a blobby looking thing with a pull down menu. There it asks if you want arrowheads on your line. You'll have to play with sizes to get what you want...
kmunson779
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby dawnsong » Sep 13 2006 11:01 pm

Many thanks for your help!
dawnsong
technophile
technophile

Postby dawnsong » Sep 13 2006 11:31 pm

Hi kmunson779,

Sorry, but could you please tell me how to make two lines identical easily? Is there a copy-paste function when using line or character functions? Thank you!
dawnsong
technophile
technophile

Postby kmunson779 » Sep 14 2006 3:29 pm

When you make a line (or text, or whatever), it should appear on its own layer. You can copy layers in the layer window, and move them around by selecting the appropriate layer in the layer window, and using the move tool on the item you want to move.
kmunson779
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby dawnsong » Sep 14 2006 4:16 pm

Really appreciate your answers! They are very helpful!
dawnsong
technophile
technophile

Postby kmunson779 » Sep 14 2006 6:16 pm

You're welcome.
kmunson779
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Awesome advice!

Postby Alveron » Sep 25 2006 6:50 pm

This is a great thread! I've had Photoshop for years but never really put much effort into it. I think I've learned more here than I ever did the whole time I owned it!

I need to play with it more, but it seems like there's not time for anything, doesn't it? Where does it all go?
Alveron
technician-in-training
technician-in-training

Postby John Buckels » Sep 26 2006 9:34 am

I made this thread sticky as it is so useful
John B
John Buckels
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Next

Return to General Methods